Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Also Old Tank Syndrome plays a role in why some fish live quite long lives in less than ideal conditions. I am foggy on the details but it is something about the increase of ammonia resulting or causing an increase in CO2, which drives the pH down and turns ammonia into the less toxic form of ammonium.

Also temperature does slow metabolism and can extend the life span of certain species of fish. Killifish enthusiasts (particularly those with short-lived species) often keep their fish at a lower temperature range for this very reason.

I think it is generally a combination of things that contribute to the inexplicable longevity of fish kept in vases and tiny bowls. Also if someone is defending the 'care' of their betta in these conditions they are not going to tell you about any other fish they might have had in there that have died.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree some species have their lifespan increased and some don't by cold water and how low the temp is also affects it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you go to my lifespan thread you can see the lifespan and warning the 11 year turned out to be 2 years.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #24 
DragonFish

...I give up. I've explained my point a couple of times already, I don't think I could say anything more on the subject without just repeating myself. ;P
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am saying a Betta in say a 60F will not live long. You are the one being rude.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

I have to say that the longest I have kept a betta alive is around two years. This is everything from wild, domestic, fish that are kept only in a cycled tank, fish that have not been kept in a cycled tank etc. The life span of one's fish IMO is sometimes not a good indicator as to the care it is provided with.

Like how not every human is going to live to 90, not every betta is going to reach its full life expectancy. You have to have fish on both ends of the spectrum to create a bell curve, and I think that most bettas are going to fall somewhere in the middle.

I also think that fancier imports, often have trouble acclimatising properly to the drastic change in water conditions when exported overseas.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter is 2.5 with no age bump in 80F.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #28 
Phaydra

Let me start off by saying one of the rules I've used when it comes to my freshwater tanks. Buy the biggest tank you can afford. The reason is it's easier to recover from a water parameter mess up when you have more water to dilute the potential disaster.

I've had large tanks longer then smaller but a couple of reasons they may have live longer in a smaller tank.

A). The bigger the tank the more filtration needed. The more filtration the stronger the current. They may be dying from pure exhaustion.

B). Unless she had a chiller and heater, large tanks actually fluctuate temperature more then a smaller tank. Reason is they have a much larger surface area for water to evaporate thus cooling a tank faster then a smaller. If she has strong lights the top layers of a tank get hot faster as well. That's where a chiller comes in to play. Another variable in the tank temp is if it's a glass or acyclic aquarium. My acrylics hold a steadier temp then my glass ones. It's easier to find a small acrylic aquarium then a large acrylic. Sudden temp changes are never taken well by any fish species I know of.

Your brother has a point to an extent. Temperature can affect sickness rate in fish but he may be trimming years off the life of his Bettas. Viruses and Bactria have certain temps they can survive in. Colder water can stunt their growth rate as well. Though a steady temp is better then fluctuating temps. Just how long are his Bettas living?

Those are just guesses though because I do not know the full story behind each tank that was used for each Betta

Last edited by Phaydra; 11-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It seems like the average Betta on this forum lasts 3 years.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks for your replies. I am most concerned about this because I recently moved my betta to a bigger tank and did not want to be doing anything wrong... although I think now he is sick. :/
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote