Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #15641 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I didn't say she was wrong.
No, you didn't. I know you weren't saying that. :) But it is unfair to threaten to report her, because you don't care for her stance on reputable breeders, when she has just as much right to defend her case and believe in owning purebred dogs, as you have your right to believe in and say why you want to own shelter dogs on a public forum.

Maybe that isn't what you were doing of course! It is hard to read emotions online. :P It just sounded a little like that.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #15642 
LittleBettaFish

It's alright. Being reported on an online forum isn't going to send me into therapy or anything.

I personally feel that conformation showing as the only pursuit is to the detriment of any breed. I would prefer to see dogs being required to title in some other sport whether it be agility or obedience or herding etc. as well as show before it is a suitable candidate to breed from.

However, since that is not likely to happen any time soon, I think at least these people get out there and do something with their dogs and many do strive for breed improvement (even if others most obviously do not).

My mum intends on breeding our oldest b.itch. I really think that while she does decently against strong competition, and has a pretty good head on her shoulders that she is not a dog that should be bred because she isn't the best in her chosen discipline.

Our other b.itch showed a lot of promise and I believe is going to the top or runner up puppy point winner for her breed in the state. However, she lost the genetic lottery and wound up with hip dsyplasia so she can't be bred from ever.

As the owner of a pug dog I also find it ironic that you are talking about the betterment of the breed as a whole. Show german shepherds have become a travesty in America and I am starting to see more and more slope to the back and angulation creeping into show dogs over here. Pugs and certain other breeds such as bulldogs I feel have gone so far down the track of 'betterment' that they would never survive as a breed without human intervention.

I have always been of the adage of breeding only the best to the best. No use shooting for average if you are going to be bringing new life into this world. I get worried enough about prospective homes for the fish I breed. I cannot imagine how difficult it is going to be to find suitable homes for any puppies we may breed.

I also think that really that this is not even a conversation that needs moderating. This is actually pretty mild compared to debates I have on other forums and in real life haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #15643 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
No, you didn't. I know you weren't saying that. :) But it is unfair to threaten to report her, because you don't care for her stance on reputable breeders, when she has just as much right to defend her case and believe in owning purebred dogs, as you have your right to believe in and say why you want to own shelter dogs on a public forum.

Maybe that isn't what you were doing of course! It is hard to read emotions online. :P It just sounded a little like that.
No this is a very touchy and personal issue with me.
Stand in my shoes and personally see how many dogs die every week. Then you will think differently. And see it long enough, and you will even think differently about the so-called reputable breeders. Breeders who breed for show, family, linage, etc are NOT reputable breeders in my book.

Thank Dog I am not in that line of work anymore. I suffered ALOT of mental stress with that job.

@LittleBettaFish, how in the WORLD is me owning a PUG (Not Pug Dog!) ironic in anyway??? I took her in off the streets! She was chasing cars and likely damned near got hit several times. To this very day she WILL chase cars.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 11-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #15644 
LittleBettaFish

I am very much aware of how many dogs/cats die each week in shelters everywhere. I volunteered at the RSPCA here when I was at school and I would say around 50-70% of the cats they had through their doors (this is a conservative estimate) would be put to sleep through no fault of their own.

I chewed someone's head off when she told me they had sent their cat to the pound because it was 'annoying' and wanted too much attention. She could not comprehend that her cat would more than likely be put to sleep no matter how cute or friendly it was. The shelters are chock full of cute and friendly.

It's why when we next get a cat it will be from a shelter instead of a breeder. All of our cats save two have come from shelters and our most recent one stays with us even though he will savagely attack our other cats if he can get in with them.

Dogs I feel are a different ball game as the breed traits amongst dogs are still very specific. I see far too many poorly bred dogs in term of temperament and overall soundness. Our dog we adopted from the RSPCA as a puppy ended up with bad hips, needing a knee replacement (or something similar to that) and having her spine very painfully fuse when she got older. Undoubtedly, that was because of the stellar planning and forethought that had gone into her breeding.

Our other dog mum stupidly purchased off a BYB after our previous dog died. Most of her litter died from some very horrible health problems later on down the track, and prior to this the one or two I met had some severe temperament issues. Shadow was fortunately, one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met but she was extremely skittish and if you had met her you think we regularly took a 2x4 to her.

Lineage is important to me as I want to know there are sound, health tested, and proven dogs standing behind mine. Even then it is still pot luck. Our girl has not had any ancestors with bad hip/elbow scores for generations and yet she has bad hips and arthritic changes happening already at 12 months of age. It is only because she was x-rayed as part of the breed scheme that we realised. I always wonder how many hundreds or even thousands of dogs in pet homes are out there where this problem and others lies undetected because they are not required to be screened.

I could not ever work full-time in a place like the RSPCA. I do not have the ability to deal with the tsunami of stupidity and cruelty they must deal with on a day to day basis. That is why I choose to provide any animals I own with the best possible care.

I understand your point of view, but sometimes I feel people on the rescue side of things do tend to see everything in a much more negative light because of having to constantly mop up other people's 'mess'.

The only problem is, that by tarring everyone with the same brush you kind of end up having no one breeding dogs at all. I know I would rather have ten responsible and dedicated breeders out there than a hundred less scrupulous ones.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #15645 
FishyFishy89

I stand by my view. Breeding should only be done to IMPROVE the breed. And ONLY have countless research has been done. Period. The few dogs I've seen as a result of this type of breeding is FAR better than the type of "reputable" breeder these days.
My doberman was a result of this type of breeding. He has NO health issues. He has NO behavioral issues. As far as a mental and health stand point. He is a perfect dog and is perfect breeding material. He is 8 years old, almost 9, and has contributed to 4 litters already. And those pups are just as great as he is.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #15646 
Sena Hansler

You're right. Loving a dog so bloody much it kills you to never have them by your side is selfish. Regretting regaining your dog is selfish. Missing that best friend you can never get back is selfish.

Before you go and bloody slaughter people for being SELFISH next time reword it, state your damn opinion then shut up. Because there are people who in your books are "selfish" or maybe "irresponsible" or perhaps in the back of your mind downright "stupid". We get it you hate breeders and obviously will snap at people who have pure Breda. Shameful! Disgraceful! Especially on a so called caring forum where people aught to be accepted for their beliefs, not bullied and beaten down.

Oh, FYI responsible breeder example: service dogs bred for their job. They need to be chosen wisely, parents bred only from the most docile and smart dogs out there. Not all "evil" is truly evil.

My rant:typing this with one hand because I accidentally put my hand through glass.

If anyone cares, I'm fine.

Edit: forgot to add... So if we are told to keep our animals no matter what, but told it is stupid to keep them because some person loves our dog... What exactly is the message to get across?

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 11-22-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #15647 
FishyFishy89

Jeeze. Take your temper else where. I didn't bully ANYONE.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #15648 
Sena Hansler

-checks- uh, this IS the rant thread. And if you don't mean to bully ANYONE let them say what they say, do what they do. Yeah, we all have opinions and its up to us to state it, leave it. Sometimes it's easy to get pushy on a subject, or irked, but you can't just assume. Assumptions is what destroys a lot of things. Friendships, relationships, respect. I gave up my dog knowing it was to an elderly lady and her son, but every day I miss him and I regret giving him up. The reason I don't have him back is because I DO think about how much they care for him. I wouldn't take him back, unless they offered. Becaus I am not selfish. But if I ever had a dog again, and someone told me to choose something over the dog, I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine and the boot don't fit. Because that would be MY dog. MY friend. MY responsibility.

I'm sorry I snapped, but reading through the RANT thread I was seeing an ARGUMENT. Takes TWO to ARGUE and ONE to RANT. It hurts to hear someone thinks we are selfish because we care for our pets so much that it would kill us to lose them. To have them taken away or given away with heavy hearts. Maybe you don't understand, until you are there holding back tears when someone drives away with your only true best friend you had to give up.

Plus my hand hurts a heck of a ton.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #15649 
FishyFishy89

Yeah this IS a rant thread. But that doesn't mean you blow up like that on a member here. I doubt that is tolerated here.

I wasn't stopping anyone from saying anything. I stated my opinion, they stated theirs. I'm not sure if you read the earlier posts completely, but I said that type of subject is really touchy and is a personal issue for me.

And yes I have been there. I wasn't able to hold back any tears. The difference is no one else was receiving him to help them. He was going away because my mom didn't want to pay for his food anymore. I have spoke with her about it and she told me that straight up.

I appreciate you apologizing for snapping. We all snap. No one is perfect and we all have emotions that need to be expressed.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #15650 
Sena Hansler

Anyone know how to make PayPal work? Trying to pay for fish, and the stupid thing asks for my bank account number and I type it in and it claim I am wrong. It's the one on my online account AND matches their last two digits they give you! Stupid thing...

Tags
bettathanyou