Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
xobettaox

Fake plant starting to tear?

Recently I made a post about my fish's fins tearing. I got some answers saying that it was maybe the filter. I took the filter out for awhile, and it seemed to get a little better, but then it got worse. Last night I did a 100% water change, cleaned the tank, plants, gravel, etc, and added the filter back... then after treating the water I put in a Jungle All-in-1 treatment tablet. I also raised the temp to 83 because I read that helps cure fin rot. Now I don't think it is fin rot... I noticed today that my fake plant has several tears in it as well as my fish's fins.. he hardly has any tail fin left! I don't know what else to try and even after doing research I have no idea what is causing this.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
xobettaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 
sainthogan

The plant could be tearing his fins, especially if it's plastic, and as a result, he could be attacking the plant.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 
xobettaox

Didn't think of that.. makes sense. If it was a water quality problem, it wouldn't affect a fake plant would it? I also just noticed a couple tiny holes that my betta also has.
xobettaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 
sainthogan

It could if the water was extremely poor quality, but if that was the case, I would assume that you would notice much more than loss of tail on him, most likely, he would be dead.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote