Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #1 
GFarra

Betta changed colors......should i be worried?

Hi Everyone

My male DT betta used to be mostly grey with a little bit of red in him. now he is predominantly red with a little bit of grey.

I noticed the change starting after he had a round of tailbiting. To help him recover I started doing daily water changes and changed his food to Omega One Betta Buffet pellets from the Hikori pellets. Since I was doing so many water changes I started using tap water versus poland spring so the PH is also higher.

He is acting normal, eats like its his last meal, and is extremely active. He lives in a heated 5 gallon tank, no filter. My water change regiment is 1 50% WC and 1 100% with housekeeping service

Given my WC routine, the ammonia is his tank never gets past .25ppm. I feed him once a day 4-5 pellets. Sometimes I do 3 pellets and freeze dried bloodworms to vary his diet.

Is his color change normal? Should I be on the lookout for anything?

Thanks

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Umm, I really don't think so bettas can change color with lighting and just by getting older or if there in better care. If you see some rescue bettas they sometimes turn from a grayish red color to a stunning red so I wouldn't worry. I'm not an expert at diseases and syptoms though, but I wouldn't worry.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 
gemsbok

He sounds like a normal, healthy boy. I'm sure he's fine.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Are you remembering to use water conditioner? It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with him, bettas can and do change color, especially if they were young when you got them or sick. But since you are saying there is no behavior changes, my guess is he's fine.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

that sounds like he's just coloring up...it happens to a lot of bettas, especially pet store bettas. they lose color due to stress and poor conditions, then when they reach a proper home they become their true selves. also, if he's got a marble gene, he'll probably change colors several times throughout his life.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote