Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
carolineelisabeth

Angry UGH! Filter issues.

My fishes tank came with a small filter. So far, its been working out just fine. Until today, when I came home from work and poor Felix was STUCK inside of it. I had to turn it off and dismantle it. My sweet boy is okay, his fins are a little frayed but he is fine now. Now, not sure if I should just get a new filter, or not have one at all since Felix is so curious.. what do you guys think??
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

What size tank do you have, if I may ask. Some of the smaller tanks(1-3 gallons) have a harder time cycling and that is the primary reason to have a filter. If you're within that range you can forego a filter and just do your regular water changes.

If you have a larger tank I can also recommend that you should fill in the openings and holes with some filter media or a small hole mesh to prevent your fish from getting trapped.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #3 
sandrac8388

^^^definitely leave the filter out if its a small gallon tank. If you really want a filter I would go with something that is adjustable so you can control the flow and intake. Fluval makes this sponge that goes around the intake to prevent fish from getting hurt.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

+1 i don't even cycle my 5.5 gallons tank. But you need to acclimate the betta properly if you will do 100% water changes. I do 1-50 and 1-100% weekly even for my 5 gall.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 
carolineelisabeth

His tank is a 2 gallon. I took the filter out, and I'm just going to keep up with the water changes. He started making bubble nests since his filter is gone, how strange!
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 
sunlight

Do either 100% every 4-5 days or 1-50 and 1-100% weekly. Just make sure you introduce your betta slowly to the new water.Make sure you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference. I usually just add small amount of the new water to the changing cup for a few times and let him acclimate in it for like 4 min. I do it about 3 times. This way he will get used to the temp difference.

sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote