Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #61 
Wendyjo

Chocolate I was not talking about nitrate at all, just ammonia and nitrite. Nitrite is not really safe in any amount, especially if the fish is exposed to it for weeks at a time when cycling, although the addition of aquarium salt will help keep the nitrite from entering the fishes bloodstream.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #62 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Depending on the ammonia level of the source water-Prime will neutralize the ammonia and then the BB will take care of the ammonium just like it will ammonia. Depending on the starting ammonia level, how mature the tank...etc.... you may need to add the ammonia neutralizer to the tank every 48h until the BB can take care of it.
If the tank had just been set up, would you recommend dosing with prime every 48h until the tank is cycled? Or can the betta handle the ammonia until the tank is cycled?(say theres about .25ppm in the tap water, for example).
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #63 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Chocolate I was not talking about nitrate at all, just ammonia and nitrite. Nitrite is not really safe in any amount, especially if the fish is exposed to it for weeks at a time when cycling, although the addition of aquarium salt will help keep the nitrite from entering the fishes bloodstream.
Both ammonia and nitites are safe in very small amounts.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #64 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

When was the last time yu saw an ammonia test with zero.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #65 
finnfinnfriend

Can we please stop arguing about whether a fish in cycle is okay or not and leave this thread for questions about the original subject? Thanks guys.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #66 
n3wport

Crazy question, I am planning on doing a betta-fishless cycle, with no live plants. Once I understood the process fully, I started over thinking (danger alert) and realized, once I have all my beneficial bacteria established in my FIVE gallon tank, my betta fish's ammonia out-put wont be enough to sustain the bacteria and it will starve/die/vanish... though making my tank regress into another cycle? Would that happen?
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #67 
LittleBettaFish

That is the whole point of doing a fishless cycle. Ideally you should have enough bacteria present to cope with the bioload of a fully stocked tank. That is why the aim is usually to get the bacteria fully processing around 5ppm of ammonia in 24 hours.

Because you are only stocking the 5 gallon with a single betta, you may
initially have some die back of bacteria as it adjusts accordingly to the bioload of your fish.

However, if you monitor your parameters and keep an eye on things it shouldn't be enough to cause another cycle. A mini-cycle perhaps, but I wouldn't expect it to suddenly start causing a massive spike in your ammonia or nitrites.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #68 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can use stuff from established tanks.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #69 
Artist with a betta

I have a ten gallon unfiltered with about 5 almost sprouted hybrid aponogeton plants and as tight of a budget I'm on I don't have the money for a mater test kit. should I just do the two 50% changes and once it's filtered the one 50% change?
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #70 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
I have a ten gallon unfiltered with about 5 almost sprouted hybrid aponogeton plants and as tight of a budget I'm on I don't have the money for a mater test kit. should I just do the two 50% changes and once it's filtered the one 50% change?
Depending on stocking level and how well the apons are doing-you may only need to make 1-50% weekly on the 10gal unfiltered tank-If its stocked with only a Betta along with 5 active growing apons-the plants should produce enough oxygen to support any BB that colonizes to help with any water quality issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote