Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #11 
nerobella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
The pics aren't too clear but its either fin rot, ammonia burns from the water never being changed and it burnt their fins off or they could of bitten them off due to stress. The best thing for them is clean, warm water and 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt if you want. If it is fin rot, the tetracycline should help but I have heard if your water's PH is on the high, it's not so effective. Suppoedly its also less effective if misxed with AQ salt. No idea if that is true or not

Is there a black outline around the ripped part, like this?

Once the rot is treated, the fins will regrow
i only see black in a few places on their fins, it's not a consistent outline like on that picture. but their fins look tattered and torn like the pic. Although they don't have that much fin left :[
nerobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #12 
sainthogan

Keep them at the warmer temp. It will help them heal faster. The colder water will only compromise their immune system even more prolonging their recovery and/or killing them.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 
nerobella

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Keep them at the warmer temp. It will help them heal faster. The colder water will only compromise their immune system even more prolonging their recovery and/or killing them.

Okay i'll plug them both back in. I just wasn't sure if it would fry them being that hot.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #14 
nerobella

Got some better pics of my two finless boys.

lazarus

Kevin, still not the greatest quality, but he's in a scratched up clear bowl in about 2 1/2in of water :[

Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

How are they doing today?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #16 
nerobella

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
How are they doing today?
Sorry for the delay, they're both doing fantastic.

The pink guy, i named him Lazarus, has some clear fin regrowth, he's still a wee bit more lethargic than any of my other guys but i don't really see a huge reason to be alarmed. He still moves during the day, he enjoys trying to flare at the bright red food container i keep next to his tank, so he's not stationary. I just think he's bored and doesn't have any fin to nip at to entertain himself lol. He's eating fine, responds well to water changes, ect.

And Kevin, the blue guy, is doing so much better it's hard to tell he's the same fish! He's swimming around constantly, right now he keeps darting back and forth in between the small space between the thermometer and the glass of his QT vase (i took him out of the bowl once he started getting active, he's back in his vase in about 4 1/2 in of water with epsom salt and oak leaf tannins). He's been eating, his colors are starting to brighten up and his fins seem to be getting a tiny bit longer, although i don't see any clear regrowth. It could just be he's feeling better so he's stretching what little bit of fin he does have.

I took all of 4 of my boys off of the tetracycline and will be starting them on AQ here soon (within a few days) to aid with healing from the fin rot/tail nipping so i can get them ready to go into their forever home, A big 15/20gal (not sure which) tank i found in my garage divided in half for two of them(Lazarus and Rex), and two 1.5 gal heated/filtered tanks for each of the other two (Kevin and Shawn) to have to themselves.

I'm so glad my finless boys are both thriving.

I wish i could rub it in my managers face that she wanted me to condemn them to death when all they needed was a little TLC.