Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Saving a Friend's Betta

Long story short, she got him during the summer and says his appearance hasn't changed since then. She did not realize that when she got him, he had a bad case of finrot. And I don't know how long his spine's been deformed towards the tail. She only kept saying he was super lethargic.

Well, I kind of abducted him. And now I have him in about an 1-2 inches of water so he can actually reach the surface while I rpepare a clean set up for him where he'll have some salt. I'm working with what I have available, but my plan is to do frequent water changes to keep his water clean until he seems stronger.

I'm still new at this, so I would super appreciate any input anyone may have as to caring for this little guy and fixing him up.

Here is the original photo of him -- I checked him over, he doesnt seem to have Ick. Just deformed and major finrot.

I also say him, because it looks like there's some definite bright colors in his fins, and he has quite the iridescence still to his scales. But I'm no expert when comparing a more drab male to females =/

These are some videos of him swimming. Sometimes he stops and just pumps his gills, perched on his pectoral fins. Part of the reason I think his spine is deformed now is because of this. being too weak and consistently being on the gravel.

Swimming and trying to eat...
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user..._0737.mp4.html

Resting and trying to breathe...
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user..._0739.mp4.html
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What do you mean abducted?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Here are some more pics now that he's in some aq salt water and with an easier set up for him to get around. he's very active, despite his poor condition.

My idea for his current tank set up is that he has something to hide on, or rest on, and the stones in the corners give him something closer to the surface so he doesnt have to struggle in the deeper part. When I can see him easily getting air in the deeper part, then I'll know I can add more water for him.

And here is a much better non-instagram view of how he looks.

This is him sitting on the bottom in the deep part, you can see how his tail bends because of it.

I can see what amazing coloring he could have. I just hope I can save him. He's been left alone like this for months!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
What do you mean abducted?
As in I told her I would take care of him until he was better, and during that time she could think about whether she really wanted to take care of him, or just visit him at my house. She agreed, and let me have him and I've set him up in new stuff with aq salt.

No worries, I didn't actually steal him.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Okay. Thank you for understanding.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #6 
Syriiven

Anyways...with the new pics, on his right side, there's two bright spots. they look shiny to me. Are those scales missing? or is that ick starting? I'm really not sure.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I think clean, warm water is going to be the best medicine for him. You should see improvement in him within a few days just from that. Good for you to rescue him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
Anyways...with the new pics, on his right side, there's two bright spots. they look shiny to me. Are those scales missing? or is that ick starting? I'm really not sure.
Ich will look like he's sprinkled with sugar.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Ich will look like he's sprinkled with sugar.

Ah, okie, thank you. Then it's just scales missing, which I imagine is from him bumping along the gravel so much. I'm amazed he's live so long, and isn't more damaged.

She always described him as lethargic, but he's definitely motoring around in his new tank right now.

Though all the moving has given him stress stripes....
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Salt baths are good. When will the water level be raised?

Tags
finrot deformed