Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #11 
Cez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
It is a huge difference in digestibility. Pellets have all sorts of things that bettas really aren't able to digest. That is why you see so many instances of bloat in these fish. It is like trying to make a cat a vegetarian, it just isn't going to happen without making the animal really sick or die. If you are familiar with raw diets for dogs and cats that will make more sense than if you are still in the realm of feeding kibble.

As for worms, yes, they could. However, many feel that this is a risk they are willing to take in order to feed more digestible nutrition or they get their food from a reputable source.

I personally would not feed live fish because I couldn't find a good, safe source, but I gladly feed live worms, fruit flies, etc.
I'm VERY lucky to have a hypervigilant LFS. Do you do your own cultures?
Cez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #12 
Kytkattin

Well my fruit fly cultures don't last too long because I just get them from Petco and then I get lazy. lol.

And I just let my walter worm culture expire because the only thing small enough to eat them were my kuhli loaches, and even with them I am not sure how much they ate and didn't want to pollute the water.

I am hoping to buy some vinegar eels soon though.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 
Cez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Well my fruit fly cultures don't last too long because I just get them from Petco and then I get lazy. lol.

And I just let my walter worm culture expire because the only thing small enough to eat them were my kuhli loaches, and even with them I am not sure how much they ate and didn't want to pollute the water.

I am hoping to buy some vinegar eels soon though.
That is so cool! How many fruit flies does a betta eat in a day, do you think?

To be honest, I'm a bit wary of keeping my own cultures. Afraid of screwing them up!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #14 
Kytkattin

Idk, I probably overfeed. Like 5-10 depending on how big the betta is. Oh, I also feed ants, but that isn't really something I keep intentionally!

Cultures aren't too difficult. Some are more fail-proof than others too!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #15 
Cez

What sort of culture would you suggest for a first-time experiment?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #16 
aemaki09

Wow that is so cool!! I never thought about feeding minnows before! too bad we dont have a good place around here that sells anything that small.

As for cultures, Walter, Micro, & Banana worms are all REALLY easy, same with vinegar eels, but I dont know how to harvest those...

As for the worms, I think walter might be the only one big enough for adult betta's - but I dont keep them, but some of my smaller adult females will eat micro as well....all you do is get oatmeal, put a little water in it, sprinkle yeast on top, and put a spoonful of your old culture inside, you start seeing new worms in a couple days, when they crawl up the side of the glass you can harvest by simply swiping your finger against the glass and putting it in the water
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

That was cool! I would totally feed live foods (i have a reptile so im used to seeing predatory behavior) but im just to lazy to take care of the live food because it would like to QT the feeder fish first...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

i can never feed a minnow to a betta fish because i had them as pets before and know they can have almost as much personalities as a betta....

but I do feed live worms, and enough to make the betta look really bloated XD being non processed... it goes through his system realllly quickly.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #19 
redchigh

You asked for opinions, I wouldn't feed live minnows. I fed my betta a variety of processed foods, dried bloodworms 1x a week, and my homemade shrimp&veggie food 1-2 times a week, with a fast on sunday. I saw no ill affects from the diet, and the fish lived for 8 years...

As far as live foods, why not just use shrimps? As you mentioned, the betta would be no match in an open space. (Even a natural plakat) so how "natural" a food is it if you have to put them in an arena?
I'm pretty sure minnows wouldn't be their food in the wild. Shrimp and fish eggs would be, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #20 
Cez

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
You asked for opinions, I wouldn't feed live minnows. I fed my betta a variety of processed foods, dried bloodworms 1x a week, and my homemade shrimp&veggie food 1-2 times a week, with a fast on sunday. I saw no ill affects from the diet, and the fish lived for 8 years...

As far as live foods, why not just use shrimps? As you mentioned, the betta would be no match in an open space. (Even a natural plakat) so how "natural" a food is it if you have to put them in an arena?
I'm pretty sure minnows wouldn't be their food in the wild. Shrimp and fish eggs would be, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
The point wouldn't be to provide them the exact foods as they'd eat 'in the wild' nor to say that processed or 'other' foods aren't enough to sustain a fish, but rather to encourage predatory behaviour using a food that not only feeds the betta but provides sport. The term "natural" would encompass many non-processed additive-free foods and any number of foods can be used in this way, but as I said before I have access to a stock of clean, cheap minnows.

I do use shrimp on occasion to feed my fish, though I tend to keep them as an interest in my ten-gallon instead of feeding simply because they're more keen on dying after transport.