Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #31 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

In a ten gallon 4 or five dwarf cories are an option.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #32 
Rcguerra

Do you have a picture of your final setup? This sounds amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
heres what i got

14 gallon tank at petco, came with filter,heater,fish net,tub of flakes and water conditioner and thermometer - 70 dollars

you can get the same kit in 10 gallon for 50 - 60 dollars. the filter is an aqueon quiet flo filter, it seems fine for bettas,

got a bag of black gravel for 15 bucks. u can prob get cheap snad for about 5 bucks some place.

1 piece of dritwood - 4 bucks

2 live plants 6 bucks.

a pack of fake plants with 3 in it - 10 bucks

tub if betta flakes - 4 bucks

betta fish - 3 bucks

a japanese style hut ornament 10 bucks

so all in for a ten gallon with some real driftwood and a couple live plants and a hut of some sort for hiding and your fish and food and all that stuff your lookin at maybe 90 - 110 bucks all together and your tank will look great
Rcguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #33 
Rachelk98

I Have My Betta In A Half Gallon Bowl With Neon Rocks And A Mini Treasure Chest... Is That Bad?

Swimmy Brock Keithley Blue Betta
Rachelk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #34 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmysmommy View Post
I Have My Betta In A Half Gallon Bowl With Neon Rocks And A Mini Treasure Chest... Is That Bad?

It is not ideal. You should probably make a new post if you have your own question or you'd like to know how to improve your bettas habitat, as you will likely get more answers.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #35 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguerra View Post
So far, this is what I have in mind:

Tank: low iron Mr. Aqua 12"x12"x12" glass cube on amazon for about 60 bucks;

Light: AL-12WM: Finnex FugeRay Unibody Ultra Slim LED Fixture - 12" Daylight +Moonlights. About 50

Heater: mini heater from hydor (15W) for about 15 bucks.

I just need help now with a good filtration system for a 6.6g tank that will not create a lot of current.

Plants will come once I read more, but with this light I can even ru some red leaves that they will be fine.

Same thing about gravel, substrate, ornaments and (if necessary) the silk plants.
Mr Aqua tanks are very good quality for the price, from what I've heard, so that's a nice choice! I have a 3.5 gallon tank from the "sister line", ADA, and haven't ever been happier with a fish tank.

For the heater, I'd bump that up to a Hydor Theo 25 or 50 watt adjustable. I think you can find one of those for 20$ or so on Amazon, much less if you buy from one of the third-party sellers linked on the website. Those 15$ mini-heaters aren't adjustable and could freeze or fry your fish. Plus, I'm not sure that such a low wattage will heat a 5 gallon at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

As for the filter, I highly recommend the Eden 501 mini canister. I'm running one on my 3.5 gallon mentioned before, and the flow is not too strong for my halfmoon male. To make the flow REALLY weak, you can use the spraybar provided with the filter and point it towards the tank wall, which reduces the current to the bare minimum. If Eden brand isn't available where you are, don't be tempted by Red Sea or Azoo Palm nano filters. From what I've heard from people on other forums, those filters are terribly made and break at the drop of a hat.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #36 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmysmommy View Post

With daily water changes he can survive but it is not ideal. Your Betta would greatly prefer as big as you can get. Also bigger tanks need less water changes.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #37 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguerra View Post
Do you have a picture of your final setup? This sounds amazing!
if you click my profile you can see pics in my albums,im just about to completely empty my tank in the next couple weeks to do a natural planted tank,ive been lookin many videos on youtube and i just love all the natural plants in tanks, some of the fake ones i bought are allready fading colour after 3 - 4 weeks and the black gravel from petco the black is chipping off and can see the whiteish original colour of the gravel in spots
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love your Betta.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #39 
Ilikebutterflies

Wow, $200?? You can make a betta verrry happy, lol. I found "professional" 5g tanks at my LFS. They were $20 but top quality. I think they are meant to be photo tanks. The glass was thicker than say a Wal-Mart tank and the materials were very nice dare I say elegant. The glass was absolutely crystal clear. I'm going back to snag the 2.5g for a photo tank because there are glass dividers that I can get for it.
I could totally see a LED bar sitting on top of a nice glass top. I have fallen in LOVE with sand in my tanks. I'm going to pick up some black sand for my next one. Definitely, with your budget, you can get a nice enough light set up to grow plants. Live plants just add a whole new dimension IMO.

I have also started to lean towards no fake decor. I think the natural stuff like unique driftwood (the Mopani from Foster Smith is amazing for the price)and plants is stunning. I'm planning a slate shelf since my floors are done and I have lots of broken tiles left. I find the slate shapes easily and I can buff rough edges easily.

Anyway, that's how I would make my 5g fishy palace!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If 5 is a palace what is ten.