Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #21 
Laki

Warm water will perk him up. Don't do hourly changes!! What seems fine temp to you will just make it worse for him/her. Leave it steady, place the tank by a heater (if it will be on all night). My .5gallon is heated at a constant 84F (but it is in the window in the kitchen with snails, not fish) what is the wattage on the heater?? If it's something like 25w and adjustable then you should wait to fill the tank completely tomorrow and set the temp to stay at 80F. It will be better that way.
You are using a water conditioner, right??
He was like this for months due to improper care. Bad water or bad food. Yes, flakes CAN cause SBD (not always but it's a culprit). . What else. ..I didn't watch the vids yet but a full tank might help if you pack it with silk flowers (with the stems and leaves he can rest on).

(*off topic* when I first brought Ludendorff home he stayed at the top of the tank lifeless almost for about a month suffering lethargy and fin melt. Only moving to avoid the net and to get food..)
Bettas are hardy. I would stop using the aq salt tomorrow when you get epsom. Try fixing his swimming first. THe tail will help itself. Some deformed-back bettas can live full long lives provided there is plenty of plants.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #22 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
How long has he been on aquarium salt? It does not seem like he has fin rot. Never mix aquarium salt and Epsom salt treatments. Hourly water changes will be very stressful for him and may worsen his condition. Just do one 50-100% water change a day.
Aq Salt for...the last...2 hours and twenty minutes.

I just worry about the water changes, trying to find that middle ground between stressing him too much, and letting him be in ammonia too long. But I'll leave him for now, and do a 100% change before I go to bed...several hours from now. Like after midnight (only 8:21 here).

If you really don't think it's finrot 9which I guess can also be cleared with clean water), I'll use the 100% to put in only fresh water after rinsing everything.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #23 
DoctorWhoLuver

Lol, very exact XD
You can continue to treat him with aquarium salt until you get the Epsom salt tomorrow. I was just wondering about the length of time AQ salt was used, since prolonged usage can be bad.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #24 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Warm water will perk him up. Don't do hourly changes!! What seems fine temp to you will just make it worse for him/her. Leave it steady, place the tank by a heater (if it will be on all night). My .5gallon is heated at a constant 84F (but it is in the window in the kitchen with snails, not fish) what is the wattage on the heater?? If it's something like 25w and adjustable then you should wait to fill the tank completely tomorrow and set the temp to stay at 80F. It will be better that way.
You are using a water conditioner, right??
He was like this for months due to improper care. Bad water or bad food. Yes, flakes CAN cause SBD (not always but it's a culprit). . What else. ..I didn't watch the vids yet but a full tank might help if you pack it with silk flowers (with the stems and leaves he can rest on).

(*off topic* when I first brought Ludendorff home he stayed at the top of the tank lifeless almost for about a month suffering lethargy and fin melt. Only moving to avoid the net and to get food..)
Bettas are hardy. I would stop using the aq salt tomorrow when you get epsom. Try fixing his swimming first. THe tail will help itself. Some deformed-back bettas can live full long lives provided there is plenty of plants.
Okay, that makes sense. Umm...the ehaters they have available arent adjustable. The one I bought is... a tetra 100 watt heater for 2-15g aquariums. It's supposed to maintain the temperature at...78F, which I guess means it wont be warm enough for him. =( We do have a heater we can leave on, but I dont want him to over heat...gah...I hate living in a rural place with walmart he only source of fish anything.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

I know what you mean about walmart being the only place around. Right now, petco is having an online sale on pretty much everything, lasting the whole weekend. I'm going to be ordering some stuff to have on-hand because I also know that walmart doesn't have a wide selection.

I'm not an expert, but 100 watts sounds like a lot. Most people here have recommended only 25 watts for my 5 gallon tank, so maybe if you just try it out, the temp might be a bit higher than 78 degrees (assuming it has no thermostat)? Also, 78 degrees is better than room temp, even though it's not 82.

Sorry if I may be wrong, but I think it's worth a shot.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 11-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #26 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I know what you mean about walmart being the only place around. Right now, petco is having an online sale on pretty much everything, lasting the whole weekend. I'm going to be ordering some stuff to have on-hand because I also know that walmart doesn't have a wide selection.

I'm not an expert, but 100 watts sounds like a lot. Most people here have recommended only 25 watts for my 5 gallon tank, so maybe if you just try it out, the temp might be a bit higher than 78 degrees (assuming it has no thermostat)? Also, 78 degrees is better than room temp, even though it's not 82.

Sorry if I may be wrong, but I think it's worth a shot.
I'll add it tomorrow then. The tank itself is 3g, and the heater is for 2-15 gallons, so...-shrug-

I have a weekend next month we're going to the city and I have a looong list of things to pick up. Three weeks. Both my betta and my rescue betta just need to last that long. Though I'm more worried about rescue betta.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
I'll add it tomorrow then. The tank itself is 3g, and the heater is for 2-15 gallons, so...-shrug-

I have a weekend next month we're going to the city and I have a looong list of things to pick up. Three weeks. Both my betta and my rescue betta just need to last that long. Though I'm more worried about rescue betta.
I worry about those heaters because I don't want them to under/over heat my tank. Also, shipping might be faster and it will be free on over $50 purchase. It's totally your choice. I usually like to see what I'm buying in person, too, but it is an option, especially if you're worried you don't have three weeks.

But I do think it may be worth a shot. I've read many reviews on heaters that don't get their tanks anywhere close to 78deg, and also a few that say they extremely overheated their tanks. As long as you have a bit of time so you can monitor the temp right after you add the heater. Sometimes you just have to make what you have work until you can get something better, and pretty much anything not from walmart is better :/
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #28 
Syriiven

Well the heater I have in Phy's (my veiltail) 2.5g works well enough to keep it at a constant temperature, and it's above room temp and he's as active as ever. I could move rescue betta into the computer room with the heater, and maybe just leave the heater on, but not leave him too near it. Until tomorrow when I can test his heater.

The reason I'm not ordering online is cuz lots of places dont deliver to PO Boxes, and I'm on a tight budget. But since rescue betta is quite active himself now that he's in clean water and ahs easy access to air, I think he'll do better. And if the epsom salt works out and it really is just sbd, then I'll be way less worried when he can swim without missing the surface.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
Well the heater I have in Phy's (my veiltail) 2.5g works well enough to keep it at a constant temperature, and it's above room temp and he's as active as ever. I could move rescue betta into the computer room with the heater, and maybe just leave the heater on, but not leave him too near it. Until tomorrow when I can test his heater.

The reason I'm not ordering online is cuz lots of places dont deliver to PO Boxes, and I'm on a tight budget. But since rescue betta is quite active himself now that he's in clean water and ahs easy access to air, I think he'll do better. And if the epsom salt works out and it really is just sbd, then I'll be way less worried when he can swim without missing the surface.
I just thought I'd say it, since everything in on sale, but if they won't even deliver to PO boxes, then I guess its not an option :/ It's good though that the rescue is being active. I think it's a little worrying to add a heater if you can't put much water in his tank, but if you have the same brand of heater in your other tank and it works well, then it will probably be just fine. Hopefully (s)he'll get better quickly!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #30 
Syriiven

Well the tank will have more water soon I hope. Room heating I think is safest until I'm sure he can swim right. So hopefully before the end of the weekend...:) Gotta think positive. Sometimes.

Tags
finrot deformed