Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
I knew it... I was like "Its dorsal doesn't look like any of its brothers.." lol.. Thanks
Recommend each tank for each female???

Oh.. sorry did I say 2 months... If I did, I meant to say 4 months... They hatched/freeswimming on AUGUST 25... so I think that is like 4 months... Idk if they are growing slower than some peoples Betta's or not... but I think they might get bigger because their mother is like a GIANT compared to them.. she is about 3 more inches longer than them... I think the biggest one #5... is at 2 inches or less...

It does look like they are still growing with fins and such... ... OMG... did you just say that I should keep them in their containers and not release them?
NO, you didn't say 2 months but 4. I was only emphasizing that their dorsals were small and will unlikely grow bigger because they're already 4 months. Sometimes at 2 months male's dorsals look small, like a female's but later will grow. But after 4 months there will be little change in fin form/balance.

Yes I said it might be better if you kept the aggressive ones solitary. . . . unless you don't mind torn fins. If you want them in a sorority, float them in the tank and let them flare for the whole day. Just before dark release them. They will fight it out but it shouldn't take that long because they are already tired. If you release immediately, they might tear each other to bits. Just make sure that there are hiding places/escape areas.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #22 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
NO, you didn't say 2 months but 4. I was only emphasizing that their dorsals were small and will unlikely grow bigger because they're already 4 months. Sometimes at 2 months male's dorsals look small, like a female's but later will grow. But after 4 months there will be little change in fin form/balance.

Yes I said it might be better if you kept the aggressive ones solitary. . . . unless you don't mind torn fins. If you want them in a sorority, float them in the tank and let them flare for the whole day. Just before dark release them. They will fight it out but it shouldn't take that long because they are already tired. If you release immediately, they might tear each other to bits. Just make sure that there are hiding places/escape areas.
lol.. for a moment I was confuse.. Oh ok... yeh I get it.. the males did change dorsal fin like your said... My male dorsal fins look like big Flags... while those females look more like streaks of cloth... thanks for the tip... I appreciate it alot...

I had the juvenile females in containers inside the larger aquarium where the larger females where... and yeh most of them when I released them didn't bother fighting.. the only one that fought back with the largest Juvenile female was that peachy tan looking one with the longer fins Betta #3... I guess they were establishing a pecking order because they wouldn't be able to do that when there was a plastic wall holding them back...

Though there are two dominant females... the two largest ones.... The Biggest one is the top queen while the second largest is the second queen. lol.. then Betta #5 and its goes down the line...

But one thing that was confusing I guess alittle bit was that I would see Betta #5 chasing Betta#4 then later Betta #4 would chase Betta #5... lol... guess the Princess >> Princess order is still being established... I think I am going to keep Betta #3 in her own container floating in the tank... So that I can see full length of her fins.. since she is the only one that hes a longer tail.... the rest are I believe mostly round tails... Betta #3 is alittle different... so yeh.. I am going to wait her out to see her full lengths.. Just that I now have to keep up again with the cleaning of the bottom of her container... I punctured holes at the bottom of her containment so that water would flow in and out aswell as if poo wants to slide out...

And when I did release Betta#3 .. and she started fighting with Betta#5... she looked like she would of loss.. and got scared... Y? because Betta #5 was the larger sibling that was why I took her out of the batch early.. like 1.5 months I took her out into the large aquarium with the two older females (one of them was her mom) I have in there. When they were flaring at each other Betta #5's body was very stocky compared to Betta #3... also she was abit longer and thick in skin... so... I would of assumed.

Here are some BLurring photos of Betta #3 flaring (starting to attack) Betta #5... I think this blurriness of the photo is my camera having too much pictures.. MY BAD...

JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do your guppies breed too?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You separated her since she was 1.5 months? That explains it. Moving bettas from batch will make them fight. Keeping them in solitary will make mentality stronger - thus will fight til badly hurt. Same goes for moving them to "senior's" tank - since they were bullied there, they will bully others else where.

In one batch they normally don't immediately establish rank in a permanent sense. They have poor mentality and will only fight for a short while. So, often when a non expecting "alpha" is attacked, he/she will run. But later he/she will do the chasing. Eventually they will fight - when both meet at a "ready" condition. But the fight won't take long. . . . it's how they are. And this sometimes happens in sororities of non related females - they're not really willing to fight but flare for the heck of it. lol
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #25 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Do your guppies breed too?
Yeh... but there are now only two female guppies.. so they do not have babies that much... Either way they end up eating their babies... : ( and the Harlequin Rasbora's are quick at snatching little food swimming there to there...

When ever I see that one of the female guppies has given birth... I don't see anymore babies.. Even if they had them at night.. I wake up the next mourning and there isn't any that I see... They could be hiding... but usually they don't end up becoming adults.. eventually they get eaten.. If I want the babies to grow then I would have to put them in their own little container or tank.. for them to grow abit (guppy fry's grow extremely quick compared to Betta fry)... so at about 2-3 cm I let them back into the main tank.. that is when they seem big enough to not get eaten.. they might get chased, but they should be strong enough to handle the hassle of living with larger specimens...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #26 
JikoJiko

Quote:
You separated her since she was 1.5 months? That explains it. Moving bettas from batch will make them fight. Keeping them in solitary will make mentality stronger - thus will fight til badly hurt. Same goes for moving them to "senior's" tank - since they were bullied there, they will bully others else where.

In one batch they normally don't immediately establish rank in a permanent sense. They have poor mentality and will only fight for a short while. So, often when a non expecting "alpha" is attacked, he/she will run. But later he/she will do the chasing. Eventually they will fight - when both meet at a "ready" condition. But the fight won't take long. . . . it's how they are. And this sometimes happens in sororities of non related females - they're not really willing to fight but flare for the heck of it. lol
Yeh... I separated her also because she was larger and hogging all the food by chasing the smaller siblings away... lol

Oh wow that is true.. Betta #5 was always bullied by those "senior" females in the larger aquarium... That is prob why she attacks and bullies those smaller than her.. As well as like you described swimming away from unexpected bites from those smaller siblings..

The two males out of the batch showed extreme aggression when their colors started darkening... They tore at the females (less aggressive) tails and fins as well as established a territory in which they protected.. Though the Alpha when they were younger eventually became second in place because he later was smaller than his smaller brother in later times became larger than him.. and so they switched spots... the "use to be Alpha" had a smaller mouth in which I assumed he got the tiny genes... and the "NEW" Alpha of the batch had a larger mouth and body structure so he ate more and grew larger...

In the Sorority Tank... the Queen B... lol.. she is more relaxed and not so hyper about chasing others.... unless they try biting her.. for some sense idky.. then she chases them, well more like a turn and stare... then they swim off... but most of the time they dodge her when ever she swims by, even if she didn't have intentions of biting them... guess she knew they better move out of her way or else.. haha... lol Dominance..

Idk If you have ever encountered this... But It seems that with the two females that I have bred... after breeding them they got alot more aggressive... At first when I got them... they didn't bother establishing dominance... The eldest was mature already as well as the other one... (they are not related)... Though after breeding that larger female... after I placed her with the male and placed her back into the larger aquarium... she began to bite and chase... Same went with the second Female.... After breeding her... And then homing her back into her original housing.. she stared showing aggression and they fought... I am thinking it was not because of them not seeing each other but because of the aggression they showed towards the male when breeding that sparked that behavior.. could this be???
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes they do become extra aggressive after spawning - well 99% anyway. Perhaps it's due to territory/egg protection. Not sure. BUT I believe females, to a certain extent, will care for and protect fry and/or will defend her "territory" established with her male.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure Carter is very aggressive except towards to fish that cling on too something.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #29 
JikoJiko

Wink

Quote:
Yes they do become extra aggressive after spawning - well 99% anyway. Perhaps it's due to territory/egg protection. Not sure. BUT I believe females, to a certain extent, will care for and protect fry and/or will defend her "territory" established with her male.
Yeh... I saw the difference... Like spawning sort of stimulated their aggressive side to show more because they do get serious when spawning.. Flaring and biting and chasing... the female having to be hard enough to deal with the males painful bites towards her...

Very interesting though... I would love to study how it sparks the females aggression action... when breeding time comes... Also the stress and relax stimulants that the male might get to be able to sit there and chase its babies and place them back into there nest...

I have never tried leaving the female in with the nest for her to care... But from both my attempts to breed Betta fish... Both the females helped out the male with carrying the eggs back to the nest... yet, always after the breeding is done.. my females went searching on the floor for eggs or something to eat... they got more energetic compared to when it was still time to breed... then the male aggressively chases her away...

HEY I got the male photos from that batch that I asked before on this Post..... I'll post them... IF it turns out Blurry I AM soooo sorry..... Blame the camera.... or maybe the container!! lol..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #30 
JikoJiko

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I am pretty sure Carter is very aggressive except towards to fish that cling on too something.
Who is Carter??? I assume it is your Betta...

MY female Betta's are evil.. they chase other fishes... like the guppies... that is why some of the guppies (males) have torn fins... or no fin at all.. but shortly after they grow their tails back... lol... its funny in some how because with shorter tails.. the guppies are quicker and snatches foods more so they get more healthy... haha... guess it was a pro for them loosing their tails..