Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #31 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Are you going to stay after this thread?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #32 
isochronism

I'm already hooked!! You have a nice group here.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yay.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #34 
twolovers101

I'm not sure if this has been addressed (I'm too lazy to read all of this one, sorry) But I have a ph of 7.8 and my fish do just fine and are nicely adjusted. It's better for them to adjust to a higher ph than to have to constantly re-adjust to a varying ph levels that your 75/25% might have and adding the ph down just makes things really complicated. These fish are pretty tough little fellows and can/will adjust to many different ph's :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #35 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
I bought a Fluval Spec V - 5 gallon - a few weeks ago. Lucky that I found a local fish club person who offered some plants to me to try. I am new at having an aquarium. I think the cycle is about over - the plant guy also gave me "seeding" material.

I am wondering if there is anything I am overlooking here for a Betta. At first, I didn't think about sharp stones, so yesterday during the water change, I took out all the sharp or rough stones.

I hope this link works - been a while since I used Photobucket.

I have terribly hard water - so am using 75% RO and 25% well water. PH has still been a bit high at 7.6 so it was recommended to me that I get something to lower the PH - I think it was PH Down and treat the water before putting it in. I've been searching for the PH that bettas would prefer, but there is quite a range on different sources online.

Does anyone see anything I should do different in the tank before getting a betta?

Because I have so many plants, should I look for a Plakat or a female so fins will be smaller--- or will a longer fin one do ok in with all these plants?

Thanks!
honey, my water is ph of 8.4, and the hardness level is pretty much liquid rock/ I have many healthy fish.

if you alter the water chemistry, it can throw your tank out of balance and make everything worse. DONT MESS WITH IT> trust me, it dosent end well.

MOST fish can adapt to wide conditonds, especially bettas.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #36 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I remember right 6-8 is the prefered PH.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #37 
Juicebox

fluval spec is 47 dollars at petsmart,reduced from around 85, i was very tempted to buy it yesterday but it does not come with a heater and the fluval heaters in the same store where 35 bucks,it seems like not much of a good deal when i added it all up.. is there any cheaper form of heater that will fit into the 5 gallon spec
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
fluval spec is 47 dollars at petsmart,reduced from around 85, i was very tempted to buy it yesterday but it does not come with a heater and the fluval heaters in the same store where 35 bucks,it seems like not much of a good deal when i added it all up.. is there any cheaper form of heater that will fit into the 5 gallon spec
All the fluvals I see have a wide opening on the top for them to jump from.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #39 
isochronism

I got my Spec 5.6 tank. My choice was based on the slim measurements which are 6 1/2 inches so it fits nicely on my bedroom window sill. I am lucky in that I am 10 minutes from a Petsmart and Petco. Better yet 5 mins. from a speciality tropical fish store which has been in business there for over 40 years. :)
They have everything!!! Great selection of Driftwoods, etc. Sorry to be a tease :) So I have been busy researching info. I plan to do all real plants in a natural theme. I have also decided against a divided tank so that means only one Betta :( A few schoolies, we'll see. I am getting some nice ideas here, thanks! I love the names of all the Bettas here!! I update when applicable.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #40 
daylily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
All the fluvals I see have a wide opening on the top for them to jump from.
The Spec has about a 2" x 10" hole in the cover, under the light. I easily solved the possibility of jumping by taking a piece of saran wrap 3x12" and taping it over the hole. Light gets through fine, and betta can't jump out.

I got a "pre-filter" made by Fluval - I think for the Edge - and that makes a great baffle for the flow. I cut about 1/2 inch or so off the end, which made a little circle, then I cut that so I had one long strip. I just put it over the little thing the water comes out of and secured it with a rubber band. Works like a charm.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote