Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 
Juicebox

WANTED:Beginners plant pack

Hey guys

im lookin for a plant pack to start my npt in 2 - 3 weeks time.. im new to plants so ill want beginner stuff and enough to fill my tank up,i have a 14 gallon aqueon,i think its like a 10 gallon but with 4 gallons added on top making it higher...

what i need........

Stem plants. at least 3 different species..

Rosette plants. 2 - 3 different species

moss ball, id like 2 small ones if possible or 1 large tennis ball size one.

water lettuce, a small amount of this, i allready have frogsbit so dont want more of it.

maybe some java moss..

a grass lawn type plant for the foreground, i want to have grass covering the whole front half of my tank so want something that will do that,pygmy chain sword or something similar.

I need enough of all these plants to fill my tank,im not sure how many that is so maybe you could tell me what you think??

id like some of the plants to be red,some to be green, some nice colour variation in there,not just all green in my tank
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #2 
kfryman

Are you expecting one person has this or multiple?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
whiskandbowl

Hi! I just discovered this website, they have a whole section dedicated to beginner plants
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...Plants_c27.htm

There is even a beginner plant package. It says it's for 20 gal, but to me doesn't seem like that many plants (though I'm new to plants, don't have any yet, so I could be incorrect)
The plant package has:
2 x Large Java Fern
2 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii "red"
2 x Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, or Spiralis
2 x Anacharis or Anacharis narrow leaf
1 x Marimo Ball
1 medium Amazon Sword

Here's another website with a beginner package:
http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/sh...r-package.html
only $19

Last edited by whiskandbowl; 11-21-2012 at 10:30 PM.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #4 
kfryman

For rosette plants like crypts, they are usually sold by pots, which will have at least 3 plants, usually more (I have gotten 8 from one pot). Though I would recommend against the package and just going through and adding plants. Make sure you read what is going to work with your setup though.

You will not have much room if you get that many plants either. I would get two species of stems and plant them in the back corner, then in the middle planting the crypts. Then it would be concave, with dwarf pygmy sword filling the empty part where the concave isn't. Trust me, you are going to find yourself trimming and replanting plants and find out that you have too many species crammed into a tank. A smaller tank doesn't look good with lots and lots of different plants, crammed in.

The first one linke with the 20 gallon package is a great site. Use the code "BETTAFISH" for, I believe, 10% off.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #5 
Juicebox

thanks for the replies guys..

i have checked out that site,they have all plants it seems

i just have no idea what plants and how many of them i need,im going by the guidelines oldfishlady set out in her sticky for npt

can anyone tell me how many of each species would be good?if anyone can beat the prices on that site i would buy them here from you guys,like i mentioned i dont need the plants for 2-3 weeks so there is time to grow some
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

you should get enough stem plants to cover 70% of your substrate :O

but thats only if you want a soil based tank
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #7 
aemaki09

I asked OFL this the other day ...

She said -- "I like to recommend at least 3-6 different species of stem plants-depending on how big the tank-about 3-4 bunches of 3-6 different species of stem plants" & You need to cover atleast 75% of your tank floor with stem plants.
After the first couple months you can start trimming them back or taking them out and adding rosettes.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by aemaki09; 11-23-2012 at 08:19 AM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #8 
redchigh

For soil, rooted plants are important... I'd get a few echinodorus parviflorus and an E. Bleherae for a back corner. Thanks for the links, Ive been looking for a place..
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote