Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #51 
bettasaur

Completely regretting the sand decision. It's a pain in my ass to clean. I love the all black look in my tanks though, so I'll probably gradually start switching them to black gravel soon. -sigh.
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #52 
ravenwinds

Maybe it's easier when you have a Natural Planted Tank capped w/sand....after awhile, your ecosystem takes care of most of the mess...

But, really...you do know that you just hold the aquarium vacuum about half inch to inch over the sand, swirl gently...and well, Up It Goes!
If you have just sand and no trumpet snails, the lower part of sand is pretty much left undisturbed and the poop and leaf litter sit on top not edging down in substrate like they would w/gravel....you do know you don't shove the vacuum tube down in the sand like you would with gravel...don't you?
If there are trumpet snails, more will be disturbed, and you'll definitely not end up with dead spots (anaerobic that is ...which can form some nasties for your aquarium so having trumpets are a GOOD thing :) but , again, all the mulm that needs to be vacuumed will end up in neat little piles around your decoration bases!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #53 
XxXMermaidzXxX

I use gravel... Just thinking about sand.. How do you clean the tank with out getting rid of the sand 0.0
XxXMermaidzXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #54 
ravenwinds

My post described it! Hold tip of vacuum tube about an inch from sand and gently swirl....makes a mini tornado that gets sucked up tube before it can cloud your water...not too hard.
Even simpler with an NPT because after awhile you don't vacuum anything up because your ecosystem utilizes it.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #55 
ravenwinds

Gorgeous green you have in avatar mermaid! Gotta clean up my drool from keyboard now :)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #56 
XxXMermaidzXxX

c; it's not actually mine but its one of my friends that posted it on Google images. She let me have 5 copies of that picture x3
XxXMermaidzXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #57 
ravenwinds

Well tell he's gorgeous...so little blue or black gives him that perfect green that is almost "true" green, not turquoise. Lucky you for having so many pics of him.
One of my goals as a breeder is to produce an even more "true" green....its a unicorn so atm, I am working with platinums, coppers, reds, oranges, and turquoise.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread for a bit...