Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 
Demysta

My Little Rescue Fish: Alpha Betta!

Hi guys! First post here on this site, but I've been lurking for awhile, getting good tips on raising my fish from this site! :) So today I'd like to introduce you all to my gorgeous sassy rescue fish, Alpha Betta!
I bought him at Petsmart about four months ago, and when I bought him he had no colour to him whatsoever, as he had no tail and was covered in stress marks. They had stashed him in behind a bunch of other betta fish hoping no one would find him. When I saw him, I couldn't help but feel bad for the little fella, so I bought him as my rescue fish.
When I first brought him home, he was active and willing to explore his new home, but he refused to eat anything from me for a week and a half and almost starved. I did eventually get him to eat by using frozen food, and he's been a picture of perfect health ever since.
His tail has grown back, but as you can see, it does little shredded up. My guess is that little Alpha must have had his tail shredded up while at Petsmart by a filter or even another fish. That or it was fin rot. He did develop some beautiful colours though! The pictures don't really do the little guy justice. In a lot of light, you can see that red/purple shades pop out on him and his body is actually more of a light blue/purple hue to it.

Note: he IS a tail biter of a halfmoon. He seems a lit overly attached to me and when I leave for the day to go to school and shop, I occassionally find him moping and with a fresh nibble on his tail. I did recently put a new arrangement of decorations in his tank, so hopefully he'll stop now. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop his behavior? I'd hate to see him nibble off even more of his tail. :(
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #2 
JBrady

Sorry I've never had that problem, but he looks amazing. Great job(:
JBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 
Demysta

Thanks! He is a cute little devil, always hyper. :)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Since you bought him and gave the store a profit, I wouldn't call it a rescue. You could of talked them down to giving him to you for free.
Tell em he is really sick, possibly dying and looks like "crap" compared to the other bettas and he will never sell in the condition he was in.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #5 
Demysta

Yeah, I could tell that Petsmart wasn't good about Betta care. :/ Saw a few very young juvenille goners too.. it was actually quite depressing. I'm very glad my little fella pulled through and was able to recover, though. It was a lot of hard work, though. I don't want to imagine what they put those poor fish through.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #6 
DoctorWhoLuver

He's Gorgeous!!! Very beautiful! You did a great job :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

A few people on here have had issues with petco/petsmart taking the betta away if someone points out the fish is sick because "they do not sell sick fish." Not saying a word is sometimes the better move.

Anyways, He is looking good
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #8 
prosthetik

So beautiful! Well done!
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #9 
FishFriend9292

He has gorgeous coloring! When i first got my betta, he wouldnt eat anything except bloodworms. Now he is a piggy and will eat anything that lands in his tank.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote