Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #11 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
A 2.5 wit a betta AND ADF?? That;s not enough room for a betta and frogs! I mean, if you cannot upgrade now, at least get the betta in somethng else. I know 1g tank are less than 20$.
I'm going to give him to a friend who's going to care for him in better conditions.

If I just had the Betta I'm sure it would have been fine but the ammonia from the frogs and the fact that I was experimenting with tank heaters (so the temperature was going up and down for about 4 or 5 days) caused some receding and even a tiny hole. Seemingly the beginning of fin rot. I'm doing a salt treatment for him and he's regrowing fins but I'm sure if I put him back in the tank he'll just get bad again.

I was hoping that the tank would cycle because it's almost been 3 weeks but from what I've read small tanks don't ever truly cycle and there will almost always be ammonia spikes etc... He seemed really happy and still is very active BUT the fins don't lie.

Might attempt fish tank again in the future but whatever fish I decide to get I'll have a much larger tank and use stress zyme and prime.

I really like the idea of having a 50 gallon with a bunch of different mollies and platties and even some guppies. They look like mini bettas lol.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #12 
njnolan1

It started to get worse and there's even a little hole in it. I'm doing salt treatments but I don't think I can stress anymore about this fish! Lol. The tank's too small for everyone and I know someone who'll take good care of him (ex breeder).

I feel like I failed but what can I do? I'll still have the frog and shrimp. The shrimp will thank me lol.

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1352085371
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #13 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I hope their is only one frog. Already with 1 frog, a betta, and a shrimp your ammonia is going to be really high. You should be doing water changes at least twice a week with 1 50% and 1 100%. With that many inhabitants you should go for 2 100%.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #14 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
I hope their is only one frog. Already with 1 frog, a betta, and a shrimp your ammonia is going to be really high. You should be doing water changes at least twice a week with 1 50% and 1 100%. With that many inhabitants you should go for 2 100%.
I have three frogs and have had three frogs in a 2 gallon tank for months without an issue with no filter and one 100% water change once a week. The water got nasty but they thrived. They were active, they sang, they mated, the ate, they meditated, they spent time in every corner of the tank etc...

Now I have them in a 2.5 gallon with a filter, moss balls, shrimp to eat the extra food and a prefilter along with the filter cartridge. Their still doing great but the betta's fins weren't doing very well which is why I'm giving him to a friend.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #15 
Laki

Wait.. Does your friend know the condition of the bettas tail and know appropriate measures to take??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #16 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Wait.. Does your friend know the condition of the bettas tail and know appropriate measures to take??
No need to wait. He knows what he's doing. He used to be a breeder. The betta is doing great! He's got a nicely planted 10g tank with some other inhabitants. It's been running awhile and his water quality is great. He's got some skirt tetras and few other small fish. The betta has his own little hiding place. The betta and the skirts like to play tag but their fins are doing good. I'm happy I was able to give him to a good home.

One day I maystart a tank but it will be at least a 20g with plants and I WILL run a fishless cycle before adding fish. I'll add betta compatible fish only. Maybe a couple of snails too!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #17 
njnolan1

Oh, and some cherry shrimp! I know the betta will eat some but if I have a fully planted 20 gallon tank with some tetras and a betta and I add around 20 shrimp I'm not worried about them getting eaten.