Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 
Taylorcranage

HELP (pic may be disturbing)

So I've had my betta Samwise for almost three years now. About a year ago he started looking sick. He got white patches on his face (definitely not ick) that slowly spread over months and eventually clouded out his right eye. He never acted sick though and ate and swam normally. Recently, in the past two weeks, he started acting sluggish and would just lay awkwardly in the bottom of his bowl. I tried tons of things to help him, including methylene blue. Nothing seemed to help. I honestly did not expect him to live an entire year after he started looking sick, and he never seemed to suffer until now. I love Samwise, and it seems like he might finally be losing his battle. I posted on tons of forums before asking for help and no one knew what was wrong. I'm more so asking now as a last attempt to just find out what it was that made my fish so sick, because I think it is finally too late. He is not dead in the photo, just laying like he has been doing on and off for a week or two. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Images

Taylorcranage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #2 
shellieca

More info is needed. Tank size? Filtered? Heated? Water change schedule? How much water is changed? You've had him quite a while so it is possible that he is now just old.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 
Taylorcranage

It is a 5.5 gallon tank, filtered, heated, and I always did half changes once a week. I think age might be what is getting to him now, but I just wish I knew what made his face change white like that. Because that started a year ago and I'm almost positive it blinded him in one eye.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

His head has been like that for a year? Weird. Some bettas with the marble gene can go from a dark color to white but i don't think they would do that so late in life. Try messaging oldfishlady or sakura8. If anyone knew, it would be one of them.

have you tried a general tropical fish forum? If not, try tropicalfishkeeping.com That is the parent site of this one. Your ID for here works on there as well.

I would copy and paste what you said on here - to this forum
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...fish-diseases/

I only own bettas so i seldom go over there but someone might be able to tell you what's up with him.

3 years is a pretty good run for a betta. maybe just old age?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #5 
Fabian

Blurry eyes are due to fights from rivals or maybe something accidently damaged his eye with something in the tank.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #6 
Taylorcranage

Okay, I'll try the other forum, thanks so much. The only reason I don't think its marbling is because his scales look deformed where they are white. I don't know a better way to describe it other than they look melted together.

And there is not much in his tank but java moss and he has never been introduced to another fish. It's such a mystery
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

That is strange. It looks almost like colummnaris or some sort of fungus, but those are usually fast acting... Wow, he's one strong boy, I hope he makes it :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote