Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #1 
shobxrs2

Fungus

My betta has developed fungus from a new tank mate. I have started medicating the tank with Lifeguard All in One Treatment. I feel so bad...my betta is lying on the aquarium floor just barely moving fins. 24 hours ago he was eating blood worms and happy. Am I going to lose him!? Is there anything that I can do? I'm just sick about it
shobxrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #2 
JMeenen

Does he have visable signs of fungus on him? What is the tankmate?
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #3 
shobxrs2

Yes, he had visible signs of fungus. He's gone now. Gosh that makes me so mad. The tank mate was a cardinal. How can that happen so quickly? He was gone in less than 24 hours. I will continue to treat the tank. Has to be a total of 5 days treatment and then a 50% water change. Has anyone else had experience with fungus?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #4 
JMeenen

is that a cardinal tetra? Did the Cardinal survive the treatment? Is that your only fish? Bettas are very sensitive to disease & medications..They are not as maintenace free as "they" say in the petshops. MOst medications are too strong for Bettas ..check the Betta section for treatment like Bettafix they are "watered down" versions of other treatments.. Sorry to hear that you lost your Betta
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #5 
shobxrs2

No, the cardinal tetra didn't survive either. I have 2 cardinal tetras left, 4 rasboras and 2 cory cats all left. None of the other fish are showing signs of fungus. Should I continue to treat the tank? or just do a 50% water change and watch closely? How much time should I wait before I get another betta? I don't want to get another and have the same thing happen. UGH!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #6 
JMeenen

I would continue the treatment as per the instructions on the medication container..then do a 50 % Water change...I would then wait about a month and observe the tank for any signs of the return of fungus before getting any new fish...what size is the tank..forgive me asking again if you already posted that info.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #7 
shobxrs2

My tank is a 20 gal. long. I had no idea that fungus could take a fish that quickly. From now on I'm going to keep medications on hand just in case. I'll also invest in Bettafix for the next betta I get. Thanks for your help, just wish my betta had made it.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #8 
JMeenen

So sorry about your Betta...They are very sensitive to disease & Medications.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You also might want to quarrantine any new fish you want to add to your tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #10 
ErinBBC

I'd just get your new betta it's own tank. They are happier alone and you don't have to worry about other fish making him sick or stressing him out.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote