Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Talking DaBaDee's journal and then some

So I figured I should start a thread here as I could probably write a book about my fish, as well as my other pets and past experiences and basically anything that comes to mind.

DaBaDee, my blue betta (he's blue, DaBaDee, dabadie), just got a new tank upgrade. I obviously had little knowledge about bettas before joining this site less than a week ago. I had a random urge to go buy him a new tank... 5 gallon, upgrade from a 1 gallon. The most I knew was that he doesn't like a lot of water flow (figured that out when I got him almost a year ago), so I bought a 5 gallon kit with an adjustable filter, and joined this site to find out how to properly switch him over from his old tank to his new one. I've learned so much from this site in less than a week that I spent $80 on new stuff for him just this morning. I want him to have the best life he possibly can, now that I know what he really needs.

I also am looking forward to getting another 5 gallon tank for christmas so I can purchase another betta. The only other fish I've ever had that lived for longer than a few days was a betta I had in elementary school for over a year, named Flipper. He never died from sickness... I was at camp and my parents were supposed to take care of him, but they let my cat go into my room and she knocked the lid off of his tank and he disappeared... I thought that she may have ate him. But, months later, we found him dried up stuck to the back of the bookshelf his tank was sitting on :( I still don't know if he jumped out or what. It was pretty heartbreaking. Anyways, I might name my next fish Mitsu, meaning three, because he/she will be my third betta fish ever.

Oh, yes, I also have two cats, Oreo and Ramona. Ramona was the one who killed my last betta fish. I also have a dog named Cappuccino. He goes everywhere with me, but I still think that DaBaDee gets more excited to see me than he does.

Anyways, today I got new pellets for DaBaDee. He was spitting out the last ones (crappy walmart brand), so I got him Aqueon betta pellets. He ate them right up, and they are much smaller and easier for him to eat. He's also much more active with his extra 4 gallons of room :) I don't have a heater for him yet - I ordered one online today, along with silk plants, a master test kit and aquarium salt (and maybe a Gary ornament to go with his spongebob theme...)

DaBaDee

Cappuccino

Ramona

Oreo
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm getting pretty excited to get the new stuff I ordered for DaBaDee online, even though I only ordered in yesterday and it doesn't ship until Monday :p

The heater, I'm afraid, is what he needs the most right now, and it is also estimated to take the longest to get here. They usually estimate it for longer than it actually takes though, so I'm hoping that's the case. Everything I ordered said it usually ships from the warehouse the next business day, but it said the heater would take 5-7 days to ship (and another 3-5 to get here). It also excludes weekends.

I'm super excited to see how much better he'll do with a heater. I've had him for almost a year and he's never had one, so at least I'm not extremely worried about anything happening to him before I get it. I'm hoping that I'll get to see his true colors after his water is warm, and also that the heater can get his tank to 78 degrees since it's only between 66-68 degrees in the basement. I've read reviews of heaters not being able to sufficiently heat tanks that are in such cold rooms, even when they're turned all the way up.

He's eating like a little piggy, now. I'm afraid that if I fed him as much as he could eat in 3 minutes, it'd probably be close to 10 pellets or more. But he is eating better and is more active, so all is good :)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #3 
Phaydra

DaBaDee love the name and now I have the song stuck in my head. Hehe I believe all bettas have a little piggy in their family tree. I love blue Bettas and your boy is stunning.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
DaBaDee love the name and now I have the song stuck in my head. Hehe I believe all bettas have a little piggy in their family tree. I love blue Bettas and your boy is stunning.
Haha, thanks. It was kind of my boyfriend's idea. He loves the color blue, so I bought him DaBaDee, but of course I'm the one who cares for him and is attached :p I hope he'll get even brighter after I get a heater (which I hope will be very soon!!!)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Everything I ordered for DaBaDee on Saturday except for the heater has been shipped and is not estimated to be here by Wednesday (or possibly thursday, if they get to town by Wednesday but not on my doorstep).
I'll be planning on using the test kit pretty much as soon as I get my hands on the box.
I also am visiting a college tomorrow at 8am, but since the college is two hours away I'll be leaving tonight and staying the night. :/ I'll definitely miss my little guy and my dog, but maybe it will make tomorrow go by faster and my stuff seem like it gets here quicker!

We're also starting acrylic painting in art at school (I have two art classes, haha) so I want to paint a picture of him. No promises that it will turn out to be incredibly good, but it is something I get excited about when I get to start new art projects, especially ones involving my betta :p

I'll have to post a picture of the giraffe painting I did last year.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Love the name lol I have the song stuck in my head now too! That was my favorite song when I was little! Lol

What kind of camera do you use? The quality is amazing
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks! I have a Nikon D3100. I got it last christmas at the same time I got my little guy :)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #8 
aemaki09

That explains it! Lol nikons are amazing cameras.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, I love my Nikon. I think I took all of these with my 35mm prime 1.8 lens. It's the only one I use for my fish because he's always moving around and it's the fastest :p A little green light comes on right before it takes the picture and I think he gets grumpy with me when I bring the camera near his tank.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Haha that's funny! Sounds like you know a lot about photography. I've just got my iPhone camera and a samsung dual view, nothing fancy but gets the job done