Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #1 
bethyMT

A scenario, and questions

Hi everybody. I'm brand new here, and new to keeping bettas. I'd like to share my story and invite any feedback on what I've done. It's been an odd, heartbreaking journey.

Betta 1: Daisy. Foolish impulse buy. Tried her in my 55g community tank for two days. Bad idea. Bought her own five gallon tank. She never looked good, bloated up badly and died, five days after I got her. I used cycled media in the filter on her tank and heated it to 80F. Obviously she was ill when I got her.

Betta 2: Susanna. This one kills me. Disinfected and reused some decorations from the first betta, used the same tank. I made sure to choose a healthy looking female CT. Cycled media again, small airstone turned way down, heat to 80. The tank was a nice setup with lots of places to hide. She was great for two weeks, and then became lethargic and died, slightly bloated. Maybe I overfed her, but she never took pellets and I had to guess on the flake food. Fed 2x day a very little bit of crushed flakes. I did water changes twice a week, same as the big tank.

Betta 3: not here yet. Cycling a new 10gallon tank, new everything.

Anyway, maybe I'm just rambling, but I can't figure out what happened to Susanna. Why would she be doing so well and then just die like that? I was really trying to give her what she needed....lots of good water, we played (she loved it when I stuck my finger or hair in the water a bit), temperature was ideal I think. I don't know if the quantity I was feeding her was enough to kill her, but I don't think so (believe me, I would blame myself if I really thought it was too much). The guilt is bothering me still, even though it was a month ago. I don't want to bring another betta in this house if it is just going to perish. All my other fish are doing great....IDK. Does anyone know if viruses or bacteria or whatever could have infected my second betta? Or did I really do it by feeding her too much?

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thank you. Please give me your feedback, even if it is brutal. I don't want to be a fish murderer, and I am looking for some closure so I can move on, either to another betta (which I promise I will NOT overfeed), or to some other fish. Thanks.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
Hi everybody. I'm brand new here, and new to keeping bettas. I'd like to share my story and invite any feedback on what I've done. It's been an odd, heartbreaking journey.

Betta 1: Daisy. Foolish impulse buy. Tried her in my 55g community tank for two days. Bad idea. Bought her own five gallon tank. She never looked good, bloated up badly and died, five days after I got her. I used cycled media in the filter on her tank and heated it to 80F. Obviously she was ill when I got her.

Betta 2: Susanna. This one kills me. Disinfected and reused some decorations from the first betta, used the same tank. I made sure to choose a healthy looking female CT. Cycled media again, small airstone turned way down, heat to 80. The tank was a nice setup with lots of places to hide. She was great for two weeks, and then became lethargic and died, slightly bloated. Maybe I overfed her, but she never took pellets and I had to guess on the flake food. Fed 2x day a very little bit of crushed flakes. I did water changes twice a week, same as the big tank.

Betta 3: not here yet. Cycling a new 10gallon tank, new everything.

Anyway, maybe I'm just rambling, but I can't figure out what happened to Susanna. Why would she be doing so well and then just die like that? I was really trying to give her what she needed....lots of good water, we played (she loved it when I stuck my finger or hair in the water a bit), temperature was ideal I think. I don't know if the quantity I was feeding her was enough to kill her, but I don't think so (believe me, I would blame myself if I really thought it was too much). The guilt is bothering me still, even though it was a month ago. I don't want to bring another betta in this house if it is just going to perish. All my other fish are doing great....IDK. Does anyone know if viruses or bacteria or whatever could have infected my second betta? Or did I really do it by feeding her too much?

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thank you. Please give me your feedback, even if it is brutal. I don't want to be a fish murderer, and I am looking for some closure so I can move on, either to another betta (which I promise I will NOT overfeed), or to some other fish. Thanks.
Were there any external issues at all? Anything that lead up to this? It might be that you didn't clean the decorations well enough from fish 1 or that you used harmful chemicals (i.e. soap,bleach etc.) and that caused harm. If you have more details it would be very helpful.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Did you ever test the water to be sure the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates were safe? Even when i use seeded filter media i test my water for a few days to ensure all is good. Is the filter too strong causing too much stress? It's hard to say what caused her death, sometimes it happens & we'll never know why. I lost 2 females in one weekend for no explained reason, everyone else was & has been fine & the water parameters were ideal.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
bethyMT

Thanks for your replies. External issues...Susanna had some ventral fin damage when purchased, it was healing. I would assume it was from wretched water in that betta cup. Nothing othernthan that. The first betta, however, had stringy poop for whatever reason. I did use bleach for disinfection, but i rinsed well and allowed to dry for several days. The water quality was always good, per liquid tests. I was checking frequently and doing big water changes too.

I always got the lonely vibe from her...idk why, but she always seemed like she wanted more company. We were in the room frequently, my kids and i, though.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #5 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
Thanks for your replies. External issues...Susanna had some ventral fin damage when purchased, it was healing. I would assume it was from wretched water in that betta cup. Nothing othernthan that. The first betta, however, had stringy poop for whatever reason. I did use bleach for disinfection, but i rinsed well and allowed to dry for several days. The water quality was always good, per liquid tests. I was checking frequently and doing big water changes too.

I always got the lonely vibe from her...idk why, but she always seemed like she wanted more company. We were in the room frequently, my kids and i, though.
In that case, I'm not sure. I'll moniter and see if someone else can come by.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #6 
sainthogan

What were you using for water conditioner? Also, did she have adequate access to the surface to breath? If she was bloated, it was possible that you were over feeding her, but I wouldn't think that would kill her that quickly. Flakes can cause constipation, but on the other hand, so can poor quality pellets.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #7 
bethyMT

I use seachem prime for all tanks and water changes, dosed correctly (some people overdose 2-3x, I do not). She had an inch of space at the top of the tank, sometimes more due to evaporation. Her tank was in great shape, since I fussed over it a lot.

If it was overeating, that's just really terrible on my part. I should have done an epsom salt bath to help her and quit it with the flakes already. It was weird...she was breathing and pooping normally, then she just...well, died after a few days of not eating and lethargy. And the slight bloat.

Also, now that I think about it, I did give her freeze dried brine shrimp a few times a week. At first, it's all she would eat. I didn't pre-soak it (as I later learned I should have). Could that be it?

Perhaps I am beating a deceased horse here, but it just bothers me. I am going to try again with a giant or half giant betta once my tank is cycled. I have researched betta keeping to the ends of the interwebs, and the 10 gallon I have now is heavily planted and has two gentle filters and will have oak leaves and all of that. I now know that less food is better. Thanks everyone for your help....I really appreciate it, as no one around here knows much about fish or bettas at all.