Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 
ChibreneyDragon

5Gal Live plants

My 5 gal has two female betta and a baby koi. For the past two months, the tank upkeep has been hell. I use the API test kit, and for some reason, the ammonia skyrockets almost everyday! I do 25-50% water changes nearly every day, and add ammonia detoxifier sometimes. But it seems the detoxifier causes the pH to plummet and I am worried about stressing my Ladies.

What the frell is going on?!
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Have you tested your tap water to see if it has ammonia in it ? Do you have a filter and is your tank cycled ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

It's probably the fact you have 3 fish in a 5g, one of which is a Koi. What water conditioner are you using? You should be using one every water change, Prime is usually the suggested one. You do know that the Koi isn't supposed to be in a tank but a pond? Keeping it in a 5g is causing it harm. Tank size is determined by the adult size of a fish not its current size. I would rehome the Koi or build a huge pond.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #4 
ChibreneyDragon

Sorry, goldfish. I derped cause my parents have koi. But this problem has been going on since before I added the goldfish. I use Kordon products, like AmQuel Plus Amm detox and NovaAqua Water conditioner.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 
ChibreneyDragon

I ALWAYS have to treat my tap water, the ammonia in SC is really high. But I test it before and after it is treated, then test again in the tank the next day.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Goldfish are HUGE waste producers hence why you've had the problem since adding him. Goldie keepers will say one goldfish requires a minimum of a 20g. Also, they are not tropical fish like your Bettas. I'd rehome the Goldie.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yep its the Goldie you should take him out and into another much bigger tank or rehome him. Sorry.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Goldfish in a 5 gallon is what is giving you constant ammonia readings. The amount of ammonia a goldfish can produce is insane. This is one of the reasons they really require a large aquarium or pond.

Your tank is overstocked and poorly stocked. Two females are going to fight unless you have them separated (probably too stressed right now by poor water quality to do so) and a goldfish has no business in anything under 20-30 gallons.

I would remove the goldfish, separate the females either into individual tanks or use a divider in the 5 gallon and do at the very least a 100% water change to get your ammonia back down to 0. Anything over 0 is bad news, and when it starts getting up around the .5-1ppm mark you are going to start seeing the effects.

By removing the goldfish it is going to be so much easier to maintain proper parameters.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #9 
ChibreneyDragon

Rarely are female bettas that aggressive. Ive had sorority tanks before, and the girls I have in there now swim together. Whenever I add a new girl, I watch to make sure she isnt a...well..a meanie. But as to the goldfish, I had no idea.

Why do goldfish make that much waste?

And this still doesnt explain why I was having these problems BEFORE I added him.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I've also had sorority tanks before and females are as unpredictable as the males. Just because it has worked in the past doesn't necessarily mean it is going to continue to work in the future.

Goldfish have basically no stomach so what goes in just usually comes straight out. Their oxygen requirements are also much higher than that of a betta so you need a well-filtered tank. They also become severely stunted in small aquariums.

You mention ammonia in your source water? I am assuming your tank isn't cycled, so what product are you using to neutralise the ammonia in the first place before it goes into your tank?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote