Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #11 
ChibreneyDragon

I always keep an eye on my females, I do separate if they are aggressive.

The tank was cycled about three months ago, and it was ok for a while. I've never had live plants, so I thought it may have something to do with the decomp. Then someone gave me the goldfish and things got worse...

I've moved the goldfish, and finished my water changed for today.

Kordon AmQuel Plus and NovaAqua Plus is what I use.

If the removal of the goldfish fixes things, I thank you so much for your help!

If not, Ill be back on in a few days.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #12 
shellieca

How long has the tank been set up? A fully cycled tank should process whatever ammonia is in your tap.

EDIT: saw your most recent post.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #13 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
I always keep an eye on my females, I do separate if they are aggressive.

The tank was cycled about three months ago, and it was ok for a while. I've never had live plants, so I thought it may have something to do with the decomp. Then someone gave me the goldfish and things got worse...

I've moved the goldfish, and finished my water changed for today.

Kordon AmQuel Plus and NovaAqua Plus is what I use.

If the removal of the goldfish fixes things, I thank you so much for your help!

If not, Ill be back on in a few days.
The Goldie still needs a much bigger tank otherwise his growth will be stunted & he'll suffer.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #14 
ChibreneyDragon

I plan starting a 30 gallon, but now hearing about how goldfish pump out ammonia, Im worried about overstocking...

I planned on getting a few guppies and a pleco later on, are these acceptable tankmates for a goldfish? Cause now Im looking it up online...and it seems like goldfish are cesspool disease mongers...

I kinda like him, but now Im worried about what to stock him with.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

The best tankmate for a goldfish, is another goldfish. They are a gregarious species.

I have three goldfish, and when they aren't eating they swim around together and chase each other around after a water change and a feed.

Plecos are big waste producers as well, even the smaller species. I think there has also been cases of them rasping the slime coat from goldfish. I wouldn't keep guppies with goldfish either, as once your goldfish gets big enough it will probably try to eat them. Also, depending on the type of goldfish you have the temperature requirements are going to be completely different.

Also, goldfish are not disease mongers. Only if you buy feeders or stock from poor conditions are you going to end up with diseased fish. My goldfish are some of the healthiest in my fish room.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #16 
ChibreneyDragon

So are there any other type of variety that can be kept with goldfish? If there isn't, I will probably just dig out and line a pond in my garden for him and some friends and use the 30 gal for a more diverse community.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #17 
sainthogan

Not only that the goldfish creates tons of ammonia, but goldfish are cold water fish and Bettas are tropical fish. Too warm of water will kill your goldfish (trust me, I have experience with this - not a pretty sight waking up to a cooked goldfish), and water that is good for goldfish will compromise the health of your Bettas (I have experience with this too, and it almost killed my beautiful girl).
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote