Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #151 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
They're gorgeous Setsuna! I especially love that spade tail on your splendens. Remind me, are you the person with a cousin who lives near wilds?
yea my cousin lives in Laos (next to Thailand) he told me theres alot of wild bettas there and little kids always go catch it and fight them for fun lol he also said if i needed any he can pay kids 1 dollar to go catch a few and send it to me
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #152 
LittleBettaFish

My albimarginata were never big jumpers. They tended to go down when spooked rather than up and out. But being bettas it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Just make sure you have a good lid on your ocellata. My bigger wilds always try to jump out onto me when it is feed time as they get themselves worked up into a frenzy.

In good news, managed to get seven fry of various sizes out of my rutilans pair tank to grow-out. It is hard as the male mouthbroods and then they don't come to the surface after free swimming like splendens tend to do. If they start spawning regularly again, I'm just going to tear down the tank every week or so and pull any fry out. Think it will be the best method of attack.

Persephone and surprisingly unimaculata fry are switching onto .5mm NLS pellets. Some of the persephone are quite big now and it is entertaining watching them box on with their younger siblings.

Have no idea what I am going to do with them all once grown. May have to clear out a 3ft tank and have them in there. Hopefully they aren't all male or all female.

Xtrembettas has a pair of uberis up on AB. So tempted to buy them and get them as a Christmas present off someone. I hate being broke. I want money to be able to buy fish and fish things with! I don't think my uberis I got are actually a pair or if they are they are too young/small to be breeding.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #153 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yay, Babystarz. You got the ocellata. Love to see pics.

No ocellata for me this year. No tank space...I mean literally no place to put a tank. <sigh>
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #154 
LittleBettaFish

Got some updated photos of the unimaculata fry I am growing out. The biggest is only 1.5cm and they are easily taking .5mm pellets and blackworms (they kind of maul the blackworm until it breaks into smaller pieces).

Then my persephone juveniles. There are some really dark-bodied ones amongst the smaller fry so wondering if these are possible males. To be honest if I get only one pair out of this lot I will be happy. Want to work with a few more generations from this line.

Sorry about the water stains, too lazy to clean them off.

Rutilans fry are doing great. Gave them some BBS yesterday and they scoffed it down. Brownorum fry who I also put in with the unimaculata is doing surprisingly well. Can't believe it actually has survived as it was so sick when I put it in there.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #155 
Setsuna

nice pictures and frys
Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #156 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. I really love my persephone juveniles. Promised a couple to someone on another forum but other than that I will be keeping them all. Struggled enough to get them over really bad ich and to this point, so am pretty attached haha.

Unimaculata will be getting kicked out as soon as they are old enough. Cannot stand that species and will probably sell the parents off as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #157 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Thanks. I really love my persephone juveniles. Promised a couple to someone on another forum but other than that I will be keeping them all. Struggled enough to get them over really bad ich and to this point, so am pretty attached haha.

Unimaculata will be getting kicked out as soon as they are old enough. Cannot stand that species and will probably sell the parents off as well.
Hahaha i have been fighting ich also with my im imbellis frys also but the ich didnt last long though. I will post a video of me feeding them BBS later
Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #158 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
Hahaha i have been fighting ich also with my im imbellis frys also but the ich didnt last long though. I will post a video of me feeding them BBS later
heres a video of my feeding my imbellis frys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhPUH1BoglY
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #159 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Sorry about the water stains, too lazy to clean them off.
Story of my life lol! Those persephone juveniles are too cute. I haven't seen many pics of lighter colored persephone either, so that's neat!

I finally made it home today and OMG the smaragdina tank is covered in algae :/ Mr. Smaragdina was happy to see me though, he was all "where have you BEEN?!" Fortunately my purchase of 30 MTS has arrived, so I put half of them in the smaragdina tank to get to work on cleanup. The other tanks all did better than could be expected with almost 4 straight days of light, but I hate doing that and I'm shopping around for good prices on outlet timers in case I need to be away for more than 24 hours again. I'm getting into plants that are too sensitive to be messing around with their photoperiod so much. And I'm sure the fish will appreciate a normal circadian clock too.

No spawning happened while I was gone, which is good.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #160 
LittleBettaFish

That is a lot of imbellis fry. What size tank are you growing them out in?

I have noticed my young wild fry tend to get ich-like spots on them (my persephone had actual ich and were really sick for two or three weeks) when they are really young. They don't show any symptoms or adverse effects from it and it just clears up on its own once they get a little bigger.

My persephone juveniles are usually darker than that (the big one in my picture is the one in my display picture) but I flicked the light on and they hate that. I find it awesome how their fins all start off red and then all of a sudden this blue wash covers it all up except for on their ventrals.

Your algae is why I only do moss in my wild betta tanks. It doesn't care if I leave it in near darkness for a week. Although I have some now under a T5HO light and it is going nuts. May have to remove some from that tank to give the fish room to swim.