Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #71 
registereduser

OK, this is a super old thread (sigh) but since it has been bumped I will add that I know someone personally that was fired by Petco for being rude. They do have standards and the customer is always right. Don't be afraid to ask for and complain to the manager on duty at the moment. Forget e-mailing corporate, go to the manager on duty.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #72 
ChibreneyDragon

I try not to look at the fish in walmart...because I KNOW I will want to save a betta. My first Betta was a rescue, I was 14 and curious, and was horrified at how sickly they all were. I demanded my mom help me buy one. She got me a tank, and I got my first betta! Then I started breeding...and the craze was only put on hold when I joined the Navy...

And now...the Betta craze has started again!
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #73 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco is great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #74 
AyalaCookiejar

The only place in my town that sells fish is walmart, and all their fish are in horrible condition. I'd say the bettas have more room than any of the others, even in the tiny little cups.
But most of the time I can not tell if most of the fish are alive or not. The last time I went they had only two goldfish in the entire tank. They normally have two tanks with common goldfish in them, like around 50 in each. They had two. TWO. I'm sure the other 98 were not bought, they most likely all died. I always see dead fish floating at the top with all the others, or ones that are almost dead attempting to swim through all the others, usually swimming almost completely sideways.

The associates there never give anyone information about caring for the fish when they sell them, but that's probably good because most of them seem to know nothing. It is disgusting, but I know that I could not even take better care of the fish with the amount of room that they have for them.
It doesn't make any sense. They kill more fish than they sell!! They overstock all of their tanks and over 90% of the fish either die before they are sold or are brought back after being sold because they died a day later.

Of course, some of that might be because of customers being clueless, but a lot of it has to do with the condition of the fish when they are purchased.

I could rant about this all day. The only place around here that doesn't keep their bettas in cups is a specialty fish store, and it is about 50 miles from here, give or take, but I can't say that the bettas their deserve a good home more than the bettas sold at walmart. They are living things, all of them are precious.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #75 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

All the walmarts in my area which is one. They dont sell fish but sell some terrible supplies like bowls.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #76 
Rachelk98

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljazo View Post
I remember doing that as a child. I'd look through all the tanks, and if I found a dead one, I'd shout out "EXCUSE ME, THERE'S A DEAD FISH IN THIS TANK!!" Sometimes they'd tell me that the fish was sleeping...

My local pet shop is very good. All the fish are in nice health, and it's all very looked after except for slightly cloudy water, or a dead fish or two. Usually they clean it out before it gets to this point. They seem to be gentle when handling the fish, and once I saw a very dedicated worker talking to them. The bettas have nice 1.5 - 2 gallon tanks, and seem very happy.
They tell me the same thing!!1 Me And My Brother Would Tap On THe Glass And One LAdy This Lady Worker Got Them Out And They Were All Dead!!!!
Rachelk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #77 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Guppies die very fast here but I blame the breeder.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #78 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Guppies die very fast here but I blame the breeder.
Where do you get fish there if walmart doesn't sell them?

And I do agree. I spent $80 online this weekend because the only place here with fish supplies is walmart. They have low quality everything. They only have plastic plants, bad quality food, no adjustable heaters, and it disgusts me that any store would sell .5 gallon fish tanks. I think 1 gallon is really small but I can't imagine a .5 gallon. I do like the 5.5 gallon tank I got there, though, but everything else is definitely not from walmart.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 11-26-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #79 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Petco but I think the breeders breeding bad fish.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #80 
AyalaCookiejar

You are too fast for me, I couldn't edit my post in time!
But it is not very surprising. Most pet stores buy fish in bulk, and I can't imaging that bulk breeders can even have the resources to keep all the fish in good health.