Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #11 
Tyyrlym

It'll take a little while. I had a similar situation with one of my fish and it took a few hours after the water change for him to really perk up and get back to normal.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #12 
Kim

Don't use the pH stuff unless your pH is really off. The rapid pH swing will just stress him out further, and I have not found any of these things to actually work. I don't know why anyone would recommend a fungus medication for an ammonia problem , so don't use that either. It may take a while for him to recover from the ammonia. Doing frequent water changes (maybe another one tomorrow, and then every other day) of about 25% should help until you tank finishes cycling. Just don't rinse out the gravel because that is where the benificial bacteria will colonize. If your betta really seems to be having a hard time, you can replace more water during your water changes, just never do 100% because that will start the cycle all over again.

PS: Never trust the people at pet stores. Most of the time they are either trying to sell you something, don't know ANYTHING about fish, or both!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #13 
Flashygrrl

OK....a 1 gallon tank will not cycle. My advice is the same as Kim's, partial water changes daily, making sure the new water is the same temp and dechlorinated.

As for giving you pH stuff for an ammonia problem, I'd say the woman doesn't know jack-diddly-squat.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #14 
DeadlyNightshade

OK I have an update on Otho... he seems better today and more active... but he's still hanging around at the top of the tank. He doesn't seem to have an appetite at all though. I'm wondering if he perhaps he's depressed? Maybe I should look into getting him a friend?
DeadlyNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #15 
Flashygrrl

Bettas are meant to be loners...just keep up with the stuff we told you and he'll hopefully start to feel better soon.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #16 
SST

Do clean out the gravel though. You can use a turkey baster to suck up the poo or rinse it in the old tank water.

Do make sure you're using a water conditioner.

Good work on giving your fishie a bigger home! He'll love ya for it.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #17 
ErinBBC

The best advice I can give you is to upgrade your tank. When I first got Marley I did what the pet store told me and had him in a one gallon tank with no heater or filter and Marley was really inactive and seemed ill.

As soon as I upgraded to a five gallon heated, filtered tank with silk plants he perked right up. Now he's active, he has different 'greetings' for me and my husband, he interacts with us, he blows bubble nests, and he loves to flare up at his reflection.

Betta fish are like any other fish despite what pet shops tell you. No pet shop worker would tell you to get an Angelfish and keep it in a one gallon tank with no heater or filter, but they think Bettas are fine in that type of environment and it's not true. Like any other pet, they need the proper care or they will get sick and die.

Don't feel bad that you didn't know all this until you came here, most of us didn't know it either. Good luck with your little friend!!
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote