Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 
bryanacute

Your Techniques.

Hello! Bryana speaking. I would (and probably others) would like to know your techniques for breeding your bettas. I'm new to the world of breeding. I'm aware about the possibilities and the culling. If you could, list you techniques, items used and outcomes, that would be great! I feel that many people would be affected by this. Please no saying" U shouldn't do that!" And stuff like that. Thanks Bryana, Poseidon, Devil, Angel, Oasis, Cleo, and Rose.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 
registereduser

I thought you were a boy named Bryan Acute
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 
bryanacute

Lol. It's. Bryana-cute I adopted the name a few years ago
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #4 
Fabian

I use a 5 gallon tank,half filled with water.Sometimes i add some live plants for fierce males and a small pot for cover.
I put the male in first,then after 30 minutes i put the female in.
I use a 500 ml bottle,bottom cutted and cover the female in it.Remember to open the cap.
After a day,i release the female and see their reaction.If the female looks scared,i cover her again and wait for another day.
If the female still looks scared at day 3,i release her for a day with the male.
If they didn't spawn till 6 days,i give up the spawn and recondition them.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 
bryanacute

Thanks! Sadly my female I was going to breed died
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I spawn using a more natural method in 5-10gal soil based heavy planted tanks-full to the top with water, no filter, temp 80F and I stay on a 10-12h/day PP even when I have eggs/fry. I also feed the pair if they stay together over 24h.
Tanks are stocked with lots of common snails to help with cleanup and to produce microorganisms/infusoria for free range fry food.
Lots of RCS (red sherry shrimp) and in the 10gal's- I will have an under 2in BN pleco (these are changed out on a regular basis due to growth)

The snails and shrimp complete my little ecosystems and have jobs.

Depending on my goal/plan for the spawn-I may or may not leave the male long term and sometimes I will leave the female long term-just depends on my goal/plan.

I condition the breeders in separate containers-neither in the spawning tank and placed so that they can't see each other or any other fish/Bettas for at least 3-4 days (my Bettas are always in breeding condition nutritionally) I mass feed them with live mosquito larva and allow them to see each other for about 5min each day. I allow the water to cool down a bit to usually around 75-76F and I don't make any water changes, however, the small temporary container will have a sprig of live plant and water lettuce in the Oak tanned water.

Once they are ready-I drop both in the spawning tank to give them a little shock and I usually will have spawning within an hour to no longer than first light the next day.
I don't wait on a nest, the mass of live plants provide a natural divider to prevent injury and premature egg drops.

I float a dried Oak leaf for the nest anchor, however, usually he will use one of the floating water lettuce plants for his nest.

Lots of different ways to successfully keep, spawn and rear fry-Its finding what works best for you, your breeders and what you have on hand.

With that said, I do recommend using the standard method for your first spawning attempt.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 
polukoff

So you have natural light cycles and regular periods of darkness?
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by polukoff View Post
So you have natural light cycles and regular periods of darkness?
Yes, I stay on my normal 10-12h/day PP regardless if I have eggs/fry. Fish have what is called a Lateral line that functions somewhat like echo location.
I haven't kept lights on at night for eggs for at least 10 years and haven't had any problems with egg/fry loss due to darkness. In the summer I spawn outside and while they do have moon light-its mostly dark in the area I keep them.
Its also okay to leave the light on for the short time with eggs to free swimming stage, however, once free swimming the fry will need a light/dark period-I don't really think it hurts or matters-more of a personal choice and what make you feel more comfortable.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #9 
bryanacute

Nice!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #10 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I thought you were a boy named Bryan Acute
So did I!
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote