Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 
aemaki09

What do separate into?

Once you need to separate males, where do you put them?

Jars? Deli containers? Barracks? Divided tanks? Etc.

I am planning to use 32 oz deli containers if I can ever get a successful spawn...just wondering what everyone else uses.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 
KevinPham123

If you can afford to, separate them into divided tanks. Normal plastic containers would be cheap and easier. If you do go with the cheaper option, make sure you keep up with the maintenance and be sure that the water temperature is at betta optimal.
KevinPham123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I use 2 ltr drinking bottles, cut the top off and fill it 2/3. float in a heated tank or use a space heater
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #4 
aemaki09

If I could afford it I would love to make some barracks, but I dont have that much extra cash flow right now.
Since I'm new to breeding (not keeping) I just plan on keeping them seperated the cheepest way possible and putting them in a room thats heated enough to keep them at a good temp. I already have to clean a different tank or bowl just about every day so maintenance isnt an issue.
Was just curious about how everyone else did it.

And if someone has barracks please teach me how you made them for future use!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #5 
tanseattle

For winter I use 2L Coke bottle and put them in 10 gal tank, which can take 8 bettas that way.

For smaller baby betta, I use 1L bottle and the tank can keep 16 of them. I punch about 10 holes on the bottom. I make a hook and hang my bottle in the tank. Most the waste will sink down the tank and I just siphon the waste out.

I also put a river rock in the Coke bottle to prevent it from floating and wt down.

I do this to save me from having to clean individual bottles. I do clean individual bottle too but less often.

The heater is on the bottom of the tank and they all share the same heater that way.

Last edited by tanseattle; 11-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanseattle View Post
For winter I use 2L Coke bottle and put them in 10 gal tank, which can take 8 bettas that way.

For smaller baby betta, I use 1L bottle and the tank can keep 16 of them. I punch about 10 holes on the bottom. I make a hook and hang my bottle in the tank. Most the waste will sink down the tank and I just siphon the waste out.

I also put a river rock in the Coke bottle to prevent it from floating and wt down.

I do this to save me from having to clean individual bottles. I do clean individual bottle too but less often.

The heater is on the bottom of the tank and they all share the same heater that way.
Thats actually a really good idea!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #7 
tanseattle

I cut plastic folder (office depot, office supplies) to separate bottles so that fish they don't see each other and flare at one another all day long.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #8 
tanseattle

I also use polycarbonate (soft clear plastic that you can actually cut bu scissor) and make dividers: 1x 20 inches L and 2x 10x12. I cut them in the middle and divided them out. This will divide 10 gal tank into 6 slots.

I am setting up my conditioner tank for fancy spawn this way. Here is my divider for 6 slots:

Divider with 5 slots:
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #9 
aemaki09

Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #10 
flyingpony22

Wow those are REALLY great ideas! This is so helpful. Thanks!
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote