Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #1 
fgradowski

Question about adding more plants to my tank

I've got Algernon in a little 3 gallon critter keeper. I bought a low tech plant yesterday and placed it in the back corner of the tank. He absolutely loves it. He spends a lot of time hiding under the leaves or laying in the middle of the plant. My question for everyone is that my tank only has a gravel bottom. If I wanted to add more plants to Algernon's tank should I add soil at the bottom or will low tech plants be fine with just a gravel bottom?
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

All of my tanks have gravel for a substrate & the plants do just fine, some better than others. You don't need to add soil.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 
fgradowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
All of my tanks have gravel for a substrate & the plants do just fine, some better than others. You don't need to add soil.
Thanks so much! I was worried about this one dying...especially because my little guy loves it so much.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have gravel to with Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort, my guy loves his plants too and they are the best thing you can put in your tank ! Mine just float and some I have weighted down by attaching to and tank ornament with a rubberband I boiled it first to be sure it was clean.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 
fgradowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I have gravel to with Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort, my guy loves his plants too and they are the best thing you can put in your tank ! Mine just float and some I have weighted down by attaching to and tank ornament with a rubberband I boiled it first to be sure it was clean.
Cool! I'll write those down and look into getting some of those next time I'm out by the pet store. He just loves his plant so much! He's hiding in it right now. I don't remember what it was that I got. I just remember that it is a low-tech betta plant.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 
redchigh

in a 3 gallon your options are limited. Moss, java fern, and anubias are pretty much all there is that won't immediately outgrow your tank. Stem plants will likely have to be trimmed often.

Look into getting an aponogeton too.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 
fgradowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
in a 3 gallon your options are limited. Moss, java fern, and anubias are pretty much all there is that won't immediately outgrow your tank. Stem plants will likely have to be trimmed often.

Look into getting an aponogeton too.
Those are all pretty! Thanks. I was thinking of making a moss hut of sorts for him to hide in.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

I have a shoot of lucky bamboo that grows out of the top of my 2 gallon. I also have Moneywort, anacharis, amazon sword, and Marimo moss balls. Oh, and a banana plant! That is new. I didn't think it would live, but it did. With planted tanks lighting is everything. Have the right lights and the plants will grow.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote