betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #91 
paris38

Once again,thank you Oldfishlady!
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #92 
imsunflwr1

Quote:
OFL - You will need to make 1-3 times a week 25-50% water only changes for the first 1-2 weeks-Then decrease as you see plants growing/thriving to 1-2 25-50% a week. By the 3 month stage and provided plants are thriving and you have had to make at least 4-5 trims on the stem plants-Reduce water changes to monthly 50% and remove the filter if you want. As the tank matures-plants thriving you can use your judgment on water changes and reduce them further.
When you do a water change are you just using tap water? What about the cold temp and chlorine? If I warm the water up a bit then my water softener comes into play. Is that OK?
imsunflwr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #93 
Oldfishlady

You always use dechlorinator with any water used in the aquarium.

I wouldn't use water from a water softening unit for aquariums. If you can't adjust the temp at the tap without getting softened water. Then sit the un-softened water in a pan of warm water to bring it up to temp.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #94 
imsunflwr1

OK... thanks OFL! Right now I'm just looking at small (2.5 - 5.5) tanks but, what if I love this and want to do a larger NPT someday? Perhaps a large plastic garbage pail, fill it with water, let it sit to dechlorinate, and heat it? Is that feasible? I've never used the dechlorinating tablets/drops... just let the water sit on my kitchen countertop for a few days. Is there a brand you'd recommend? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #95 
Oldfishlady

What is your source water, are you in the US-if you are and you have city supplied water-you will have both chlorine and chloramine in the water. You can rid the water of chlorine by aging but not the chloramines. If you have well water-then you may not need a dechlorinater. Several good dechlorinators on the market-a lot of member use Prime. I don't need dechlorinators since I have well water.

Once you start one NPT-you will find yourself needing/wanting to setup another and another...etc....lol.....The high nutrient soil can really get the plants growing and soon you are over ran by plant trimmings. You can only replant so many back into the same tank before it is so crammed full that the fish can't turn around...lol....

I ended up with 18 tanks that range from 1gal-to-75gal in the house and this was from a single plant purchase and it all happened within a year....lol.....This is when having a good relationship with a local Ma & Pa pet shop comes in handy. Along with all the extra plants and fish/inverts I breed-my hobby pays for itself....

As long as you can provide the proper light to support the plant growth-any container will work for plants. Around my house, if it holds water- it has something aquatic in it...lol....
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #96 
imsunflwr1

hahahahhaaaaaaa! Well, I think I'm going to be one of those that will be overrun too!! I have purchased several small tanks so.... :)

I do live in the US and have city water. My poor little Bettas... they've been living in chloramines!!! I'm heading to the LFS to get some Prime!

Also I got notice that my Hygro "Green Temple" will be delivered today so I'm scrambling to get a temp bucket set up. Have the light ready and the heater is running, but I'll have to add the dechlorinater when I get home. Poor babies... they will be so cold!

Thanks Again!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #97 
Oldfishlady

Check out your local thrift shops-this is a great place to get tanks and usually they will be complete with lights, filter, heaters...etc....I have picked up several 10gal for under $10.00 and 1-5gal for $2- $5.00 and this is even with heaters.

You do have to go to them on a regular basis since everything changes-I just seen a 40gal complete and it came with an iron stand for $30.00 and a 10gal for under $15.00 just last week....didn't need either one of them...but it sure was tempting...lol.....I haven't bought a brand new tank-ever...I either get them at thrift shops, yard sales or given to me for free or as a gift. Usually the only thing I ever have to buy are heaters and sometime light strips.

I do replace my light bulbs every 12 months since the intensity can be lost over time and this changes the color temp. I don't buy aquarium specific bulbs-I get mine in the lighting dept-cheaper...I don't like to pay extra for the word "aquarium"...lol.....
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #98 
whiskandbowl

Light question!
Where can I get a proper plant light? It seems that a "Daylight 6500k bulb"
is the way to go. Do they make ones that fit into Aq hoods? I have the Petco bookshelf, I think it's around 24 inches long. I really don't want to use clamp lamps, as I've seen some people use. We have ZooMed FloraLight (i think that's what it's called) at my work, but can't find how many "k" it is.
Thanks in advance
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #99 
Oldfishlady

If your hood uses the standard 2 pin florescent light bulb tubes...You can find the 6500k daylights at most lighting dept section of a store like- wal mart, home depot or lowes.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #100 
whiskandbowl

Excellent, thank you!
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote