Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #51 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Okay lol thanks for helping me. I have always wanted to know the difference between wilds and domestic plakats...
okay ask your questions about wilds but list the questions by numbers that way i can answer them easier
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #52 
finnfinnfriend

1.do wilds have a few green iridesent scales on the dorsal half of their body?
2. Do the tails and anal fins always have mostly red?
3. Do the tails have green rays on them?
4. Do you think the common domestic blue betta you see in pet stores looks very different from a wild caught/wild type? How?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #53 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

How easy are B.Imbellis?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #54 
Setsuna

1.Do wilds have a few green iridescent scales on the dorsal half of their body?
The ones that I've seen with iridescent is Imbellis and Stiktos the rest has little iridescent or only color only and they are just very light in color. Wild bettas are mostly dull due to the pure blood of them they are not as colorfull like show bettas
2.Do the tails and anal fins always have mostly red?
The ones that i have seen with red on the anal and caudal fin are Imbellis and Splenden. Smaragdina has kinda like a rainbow emerald color on them. Mahachai has like an emerald color all over. Stiktos has almost the same as mahachais
3.Do the tails have green rays on them?
Imbellis, Mahachai, splenden, and Stiktos has it. Smaragdina dont have it. Smaragdina had like an orange ray
4.Do you think the common domestic blue betta you see in pet stores looks very different from a wild caught/wild type? How?
Yes, i think they are very different. Due to the difference in characteristic that wild bettas have and show bettas have. Show bettas are much more colorfull and more color variety's and tails. Show bettas are either one full color or mixed colors as for wild bettas will only stay the same with the same things
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #55 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
How easy are B.Imbellis?
they are like any other bettas to but because of the fact that they are wild they are very shy maybe not for farm breed ones but for wild caught bettas they are very shy and lose color very fast if you startle them
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #56 
finnfinnfriend

Thanks for answering my questions!
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #57 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So wild are scared of you and captive bred are not? Care like PH hardiness are B.Imbellis good pets or very hard?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #58 
babystarz

I have a pair of betta smaragdina and two pairs of imbellis. I keep each species in their own 20 gallon long NPT.

There are over 50 species of bettas so yes some of them do, some don't. Some have iridescence in different colors. Metallic colors in betta splendens were originally sourced from wild splendens complex fish. Generally most species are dull with one or two very vibrant areas, typically in the fins or gills.
No, red is common in splendens complex species and in several other complexes, but individuals within these species can have no red at all. I have seen imbellis and mahachai that were only black and blue. My smaragdina male has very little red and my female is solid brown.
No, not always. They could be only red or blue or back or a mix.
4. Do you think the common domestic blue betta you see in pet stores looks very different from a wild caught/wild type? How?
Yes, very. It's obvious to me that wild betta species have features designed for function and survival over looks. Domestic bettas have large, flowy fins that impede movement and camouflage, plus color combinations and body shapes that have been introduced through artificial selection. Also many wild species are differently sized, some regularly getting over 3 inches long. Others are smaller, and others are mouthbrooders with jutting underbites that look very different from bubblenester mouths.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #59 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
So wild are scared of you and captive bred are not? Care like PH hardiness are B.Imbellis good pets or very hard?
yes wild are much more scared of you then home breeds because wilds grow up in the wild they dont know about humans untill they are caught as for home breed or farm breed who feeds them?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #60 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I have a pair of betta smaragdina and two pairs of imbellis. I keep each species in their own 20 gallon long NPT.

There are over 50 species of bettas so yes some of them do, some don't. Some have iridescence in different colors. Metallic colors in betta splendens were originally sourced from wild splendens complex fish. Generally most species are dull with one or two very vibrant areas, typically in the fins or gills.
No, red is common in splendens complex species and in several other complexes, but individuals within these species can have no red at all. I have seen imbellis and mahachai that were only black and blue. My smaragdina male has very little red and my female is solid brown.
No, not always. They could be only red or blue or back or a mix.
Yes, very. It's obvious to me that wild betta species have features designed for function and survival over looks. Domestic bettas have large, flowy fins that impede movement and camouflage, plus color combinations and body shapes that have been introduced through artificial selection. Also many wild species are differently sized, some regularly getting over 3 inches long. Others are smaller, and others are mouthbrooders with jutting underbites that look very different from bubblenester mouths.
id like to see your wild pairs