Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #1 
Onbu

Question Requesting advice for suitable betta tank please - IQ3/IQ5 ??

This morning I have found a supplier I can get these from in about 3 days:

http://www.dubaipetstore.com/IQ3-Min...257-376-p.aspx

http://www.dubaipetstore.com/IQ5-Min...997-376-p.aspx

Can you please advise me whether either of these IQ models are actually ideal for a betta or just a gimmick tank that would not suit a betta due to the specs or the size/pump/filter/light etc

I have the same question for the Biorb tank models please (although I can not get them locally so they would have to be brought in from overseas suppliers which would take longer).

IF the IQ models are a good choice, would it be possible for you to please tell me whether the IQ3 water volume and filter etc is recommended or suitable for just one betta or is the IQ5 being a little larger the only way to go.

I would also be great if you are aware of the information regarding which accessories and filter products etc are required for this setup but do not come inside the box with the tank purchase so I can try to order these all at the same time.

Thank you very much for your time
Onbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onbu View Post
This morning I have found a supplier I can get these from in about 3 days:

http://www.dubaipetstore.com/IQ3-Min...257-376-p.aspx

http://www.dubaipetstore.com/IQ5-Min...997-376-p.aspx

Can you please advise me whether either of these IQ models are actually ideal for a betta or just a gimmick tank that would not suit a betta due to the specs or the size/pump/filter/light etc

I have the same question for the Biorb tank models please (although I can not get them locally so they would have to be brought in from overseas suppliers which would take longer).

IF the IQ models are a good choice, would it be possible for you to please tell me whether the IQ3 water volume and filter etc is recommended or suitable for just one betta or is the IQ5 being a little larger the only way to go.

I would also be great if you are aware of the information regarding which accessories and filter products etc are required for this setup but do not come inside the box with the tank purchase so I can try to order these all at the same time.

Thank you very much for your time
I can't figure out how much water they can contain-- But if it's more than 2gallons it looks okay :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The IQ3 measures out as a 2.5 gal tank or about 9.5 liters. That's the minimum recommended size for a Betta tank. The light is the right size for live plants, but the filter seems a little strong.

The IQ5 is a 4.5 gal tank or 17 liters. The light is about right and it has the same filter which in this size is a better match. This is the better choice as it is larger and easier to maintain.

BUT: Betta like room to roam, so depth is not as important as length. A better choice would be a longer, shallower tank of about 17 liters. I think a glass tank is better for beginners. You won't need a filter right away and a light is unimportant until you get live plants.

You will, however need a heater, a 25W adjustable is best and the right size for a 17 liter tank. And a thermometer to keep track of water temperature.

For more good advice, read the stickies at the top of this section. Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
I do not recommend the Baby BiOrb for bettas, and I think the normal sized BiOrb would probably have the same problems, namely, it's very awkward to position a heater and the cord shows. Also you need to get a cover for the tube the bubbles come out of, as bettas are curious enough to wedge themselves into them and die. You also cannot position them too close to any windows, as they act as a magnifying glass for sunlight and can start your furniture on fire.

You're best off buying a plain rectangular 5 gallon glass tank and glass cover, and buying the filter and heater separately.

The ideal type of betta filter is a sponge filter (they look like this: http://www.kwzone.com/products/acces...e%20Filter.jpg). If you decide to get one you'll need to also buy an air pump with adjustable flow and some standard sized aquarium air tubing. If you want to position the air pump below the aquarium, make sure to also buy a Non-Return Check Valve to prevent water from getting into the air tubing. These filters are very low maintenance. Just squeeze them out a couple of times in old tank water when you do water changes.

You can find cheap aquarium heaters from sellers in China on auction/sales sites like eBay.

If you want to grow live plants you'll need a specific type of lighting. If you don't want to do that, you can buy any type of aquarium lighting.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I have the 5 gallon Aqua Culture aquarium kit with an LED light for both my fish that I found at walmart for about $30.

It comes with a filter, and in my own experiences, it is a good one because it has a high/low flow switch and neither of my bettas have a problem with the current being too strong. There are also other ways to manipulate a filter so that the current is not too strong. The LED light is very small and it is not permanently attached to the lid so it can be left out if necessary.

But as said before, a longer tank that isn't as deep is best with plenty of real or silk plants that reach the surface or are very close. They tend to hang out near the water surface a lot because they breathe air from the surface, and they often like to lay and sleep on the plants near the surface.

Both of those tanks look pretty deep and not as wide, so there is less water surface area.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 11-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 
Myates

The IQs are nice because everything is nice and neat in the back where you don't see the heater, filter, etc. It makes for an all around nice looking tank. But I don't believe the smallest one (IQ3) is even 2g.. it will suit a betta, but not much room in the way of decorating.. but a 1g is perfectly acceptable and fine for a betta, so the IQ3 would work.. I just prefer the IQ5.

The only negative I see in the IQs are the open top - will either have to keep water level a few inches below the top, or use something like the plastic crafting mesh to cover and prevent jumping. And possibly can add in another aquarium sponge cut to fit into the filter to help baffle to keep the flow minimal.

I think it's a cute tank.. don't see why you couldn't make it work good for you and your betta.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote