Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #11 
OrangeAugust

You could put a piece of paper or something between the two tanks so they can't see each other. I had to do that when I brought my bettas to my parents' house during superstorm Sandy. I put them all in temporary 1 gallon tanks right next to each other on the counter... then I noticed that my female could see one of the males and she got breeding stripes (the vertical ones) lol. I didn't want her to get eggy so I put a sheet of paper in between their tanks so she couldn't see him.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #12 
Sparrowhawk

I think I have a tail biter on my hands as well, though I can't be sure because I haven't been able to see any real damage on his fins, he has just started to chase his tail occasionally.

I think I saw an incredibly small amount of damage on one fin, but I'm not sure, because his fins are so large they ruffle most of the time. I added a mug to his tank in a panic last night in order to give him a hidey-hole (I was due to purchase a pot with plants attached today, what timing...) but he doesn't seem interested in it.

He always has a piece of IAL in his water, has a potted anubias nana and a dwarf rush planted in the substrate, and gets his regular water changes. I'm panicking a fair bit, and feel like a failure of a fish parent.

Sorry to the OP to hijack your thread somewhat, but aside from changing water, treating with aquarium salt, giving him more stimulation, adding some stress coat instead of regular water conditioner (is this the correct way to go about that?) is there anything I can do? I feel so bad for the little guy, like I've failed him.

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 11-21-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the plants he's got in there with him. Oops.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #13 
latriana465

Hi Sparrowhawk,

Don't feel bad!! Trust me if you saw my Delta (which I have pictures of his damaged tail in my album) you would know I feel the same pain. Though his tail has gotten worse since the picture but I figured out why mine tail bites. You are doing everything that I am doing for my little guy except I do not have IAL. The main thing you you is to figure out his reason for biting and then you can try and prevent it. Though figuring out why is the hardest part.
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #14 
Sparrowhawk

Thank you. He's due for a 100% water change today, so we're planning to add the new stuff then, and maybe give him a ping pong ball to push around, in case it's boredom. (We spend heaps of time with him each day though, he follows our fingers outside the tank, and thoroughly enjoys nipping our fingers when they're anywhere near the surface when we have to do water changes or anything, so I'm not sure it's boredom)

I'm glad you figured out what caused Delta's tail biting, fingers crossed I can figure out Falkor's!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #15 
Rockandrollgirl09

Ya that is the hardest part finding out why. I still havent found out why mine is bitting. I recently went on vacation and brought them with and since I have been home and they have had a change of scenery he has not been bittin I also seperated him this time completely. I think that helps I definately am going to seperate him once we get back. He seems to like my mom better than me I guess.
Rockandrollgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote