Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 
nerobella

Unhappy Iv'e got a jumper, help!

Okay, so i put one of the finless betta's i rescued from work into a divided ten gallon with one of the betta's i already had, seeing as how everybody is all healthy now. Well, the filter that came with the ten gallon didn't have a top, so it was just an open reservoir (stupidest concept ever!).

Last night my boy who has full fins decided it would be fun to jump into the reservoir, and it tore his fins up at the edges :[

I covered the top with pantyhose, so that problem is fixed.

But now i'm worried that he'll jump out of the tank through the hole in the hood meant for the filter. i tried taping pantyhose across it but they just fall right off after ten minutes or so.. I tried covering it with a washcloth but because the water still comes through the pantyhose at the top it was getting wet. Which is a huge problem because right now the tank is on my dresser in front of the outlets until i can get/make a stand. and the water level is as low as i can make it because of this dang filter.. i'm sick to my stomach worrying about him, i'm afraid to leave my room because i don't want to come back to find him dead behind my dresser.

Please help, i'll try anything *pouts*
nerobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

Can you get some of that plastic canvas (craft mesh) stuff, cut it to size and use tape or aquarium sealant to glue it on over the opening for the filter?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Could you post a picture? Would it be possible to set something over it? I use plastic I get at OSH and just cut it to size for my tanks, but I am having trouble visualizing if that would work with your tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 
nerobella

that's the best picture i could get with it being so close to the wall.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 
Mandykinz2008

This is an issue I had with mine! I bought the plastic mesh at a craft store..it's used for needlepoint. I don't recommend tape as my last fish, SQL, jumped and managed to lift the flap of mesh..this time I glued it to make sure that doesn't happen again!
Attached Images

Mandykinz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 
nerobella

it's insane that they would make the opening so ridiculously big! especially when most all fish can jump. hell, my big 5lb catfish i used to have could jump, but his hood had a flap on a hinge for the filter. Wish i still had that tank lol. But i'll do the craft mehs thing when i get paid again, i spent all my money this check on the initial tank setup (heater, divider, gravel, hidey holes and a few plants). But for now i found a flat bottom bowl that i have propped up against the hole, there's still a small gap but i don't think he could fit through it. Hopefully it works until payday ><