Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #1 
n3wport

Who has experience using sand?

Hello all, I am back on the forum (you probably didn't notice me while I was here, anyways, ha)

But Im deciding to get another betta sicne my last one, zombie, died =/

plus petco has the 5 gallon aqueon tanks for only 30 dollars and FREE shipping.. go check it out asap as the sale may end (?)

Anyways, I'd like to use sand, it looks more clean, is it better for a tank? such as no cracks to get food and whatnot lodged into?
whats a good brand of sand, will it cloud the water?
how do you rinse sand off?
when cleaning, do you use a regular siphon? thanks!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your loss. D:

Ugh! Don't temp me with that tank! I have no where to set it up at the moment, but its REALLY tempting to just go order anyway....xD;

Anyway....
In all of my tanks I use the sand from Petco. Personally I quite like it. I like the look of it, it comes in a few different colors, and its a bit more like very fine gravel so it doesn't cloud when its disturbed.
I've heard reports of it leeching color, but with nine tanks set up with various colors and over 10 5lb bags of the stuff I personally have never encountered this issue.
You'll want to rinse it well though of course. I rinsed mine a lot like gravel, but in small parts. I used a small gladware container that held a couple of handfuls of sand, rinsed it and stirred it around with my hand several times, then put it into a larger container to be moved to the tank/or the tank its self, then just kept going until I had enough sand for the tank I was working on. It can look a little bubble-y at first after you fill up the tank, but stir it up with your finger a couple of times and that will go away after a few days.

I'm afraid I can't give any input on the different kinds of sands because I've never personally used them, but I've heard of pool filter sand and play sand being used as well. I do believe there is another kind of more expensive black sand at Petsmart?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your loss. D:

Ugh! Don't temp me with that tank! I have no where to set it up at the moment, but its REALLY tempting to just go order anyway....xD;

Anyway....
In all of my tanks I use the sand from Petco. Personally I quite like it. I like the look of it, it comes in a few different colors, and its a bit more like very fine gravel so it doesn't cloud when its disturbed.
I've heard reports of it leeching color, but with nine tanks set up with various colors and over 10 5lb bags of the stuff I personally have never encountered this issue.
You'll want to rinse it well though of course. I rinsed mine a lot like gravel, but in small parts. I used a small gladware container that held a couple of handfuls of sand, rinsed it and stirred it around with my hand several times, then put it into a larger container to be moved to the tank/or the tank its self, then just kept going until I had enough sand for the tank I was working on. It can look a little bubble-y at first after you fill up the tank, but stir it up with your finger a couple of times and that will go away after a few days.

I'm afraid I can't give any input on the different kinds of sands because I've never personally used them, but I've heard of pool filter sand and play sand being used as well. I do believe there is another kind of more expensive black sand at Petsmart?
Thank you for your response! I am going to go with black sand from petco, I loved the look of sand! so you can just siphon the dirt off the top and the sand doesnt get sucked up?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Sure thing! :)

A few grains of sand will probably get sucked up, but for the most part yup!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #5 
FishKarl

Personally I have yet to use sand but I gave it thought for the same reasons you listed. I read that you clean the sand first by adding water into your sand (sand is in a bucket or something, not your tank) swishing it through then carefully pour the dirty water out. Repeat until the water is clear-ish. As for sand brand, I read that it doesn't really matter. Just don't get sand that might hurt you betta such as sand that will effect the ph and/ or leech out any chemicals. When cleaning you use a regular siphon but just be careful. There's a knack to getting it right so you don't suck up sand and cloud the water. You should always be careful on the food you use since some could sink and your betta might eat sand with its meal. In water changes you should sift the sand a bit so gasses won't get trapped into the sand. Also, welcome back.
FishKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 
FishKarl

Oops, sorry for posting on an answered question. My phone was being weird and so all I saw was the question and no replies to it. Hope you'll get something good out of it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #7 
n3wport

Thank you! do you think that is a common occurrence that betta's eat sand ?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #8 
FishKarl

Not really since they are surface feeders but you it might happen. Bettas are very accurate at getting their food/prey so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure the grains aren't so small that they easily get disturbed by you fishie's movements and go into his gills. Thats the only real worry I have.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #9 
flyingpony22

I have sand in my goldfish tank and one of my bettas. Worst decision ever for the goldfish, but I love it with the betta.

I purchased it from Costco in the betta section. It came in a little circular container. I poured it into a pitcher and washed all the dust out of it for a few minutes before putting it into my tank. The waters always going to look cloudy when you fill it with water so don't spend hours trying to rinse the sand out. If you have a filter it'll clear the water up fast. If you don't leave it for a few hours and it'll settle.

My betta has never tried to eat the sand. I have sinking pellets for him and the sand makes it easy for him to see them if they make it to the bottom before he realizes it's there. I also think it's less likely to hurt him then gravel and he likes to brush against it sometimes. My goldfish love to play in the sand too.

As for water changes I do 100% with my betta so it's not an issue. The goldfish are in a 20 gal tall tank and I have a siphon for it. I only change about 75% of the water and I swirl the tube to made the droppings float and then suck it up. Or I shake the sand with my free hand and suck it up with the other. The sand doesn't really float as much as you think when it's in the tank. When I fill the goldfish tank up the sand unsettles for a little but not long. And even when the fish play in it there's not a huge sand cloud. It mostly isn't stays put
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 
jeaninel

I use playsand from Lowes or Home Depot. $5 for a 50 lb sack....very affordable, especially when you need substrate for large tanks. To clean I filled a 5 gallon bucket about 1/2 to 1/3 full then used my garden hose with a high pressure nozzle to fill with water, dump the dirty water and repeat over and over until it runs clear.

Don't worry about the fish ingesting the sand, they will sift it through their gills. But, as noted, Bettas are mostly surface feeders. Although mine did hunt around the bottom sometimes too.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote