Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
PocketAsian

Exclamation Step by Step Weekly Water Change Help!

Every Friday is my planned weekly water change for my 5 gallon, filtered, and heated tank. Because I am EXTREMELY new to taking care of pets, I'd love to know step by step process on how to successfully do a water change the 1st time. Many sites provide different answers and I do not know which to follow.
Can anyone help?

Thank you very much in advance!
PocketAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

It's pretty simple. Prepare 2 buckets for putting in old tank water and for the new tank water. (De-chlorinate as needed.) Get a gravel siphon or a python and start sucking out the water into the sink. Aim for any debris you can see and dig deep into the gravel to suck up poo and uneaten food. And then you use a cup or the siphon again to put the new water into the tank. Be very gentle, and you can now dump out the old tank water from bucket #1.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 
PocketAsian

How much water should I remove from the old water to be replaced by new water?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

50% is good. Oh, and remember to wash the filter media with old tank water a couple of times a month.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #5 
PocketAsian

Can my betta stay in the tank during this process or I should move him temporarily?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Getting the betta out will be more stressful to him. Healthy bettas should have no trouble with water changes at all. Remember to keep the new water the same temperature as the current tank's. I keep adding stuff that I should've told you before. >.> lol
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I do pretty much what Lebron says but if you want steps these are mine, I have 2 buckets - 1 is used for nothing but the new water & the other for nothing but old water.
Steps:
1. Fill new water bucket with tank temp matched water
2. Add water conditioner, I use Prime
3. Add ferts for plants
4. Remove hood & light
5. Unplug filter & heater
6. Clean glass if needed
7. Syphon water & gravel vac well
8. Refill with new water
8. Plug back in heater
9. After 5-10 minutes plug back in filter
10. Re-install hood & light
11. Clean up my mess
I always do 50%+ weekly water changes on all 5 tanks; 3 10g, 1 5.5g & 1 46g. Fish are always left in the tanks. I check the filter pads & if they need it I rinse them in the old tank water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #8 
PocketAsian

Sorry for the non stop questions :P but..
Can you rearrange the decorations in the tank so my fish won't get bored or will it just add stress to my fish?

Thank you very much for such helpful tips! :D
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #9 
callistra

You really don't need to be making really large water changes on a well established and maintained aquarium. About 20-30% should be all it needs. 50% max. Any more of that is not only entirely unnecessary, but just stresses the fish.

Rearranging decor is usually a good thing. Keeps fish entertained.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #10 
TheMCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
50% is good. Oh, and remember to wash the filter media with old tank water a couple of times a month.
50%, for a 5 gallon, filtered and heated, for one betta, weekly? Nawwwwww... 20% to 30% is just fine. A 50% change might even be more stressful to the fish than necessary.

Washing the filter media shouldn't be necessary unless it's clogged either. It should just be replaced periodically according to manufacturer directions.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water change, weekly