Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #11 
tromboneplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie8890 View Post
Reminds me of crush! His swim bladder doesnt look too bad right now, si fasting should work. But if it doesnt you will need some epsom salt(can get at any drug store). Do a 100% water change to get out the aq salt then add 1 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salt and watch the magic happen! Lol. Cant wait to see how he turns out! Hes so pretty even now!
Thanks Gracie8890! I watched him deteriorate for about 3 or 4 weeks before I just couldn't take it anymore....I wanted him so bad but I thought that 3 bettas were enough and shouldn't get anymore. He just kept calling to me and I knew I had to save him...so now I have 4....if you count my fiances that I take care of lol

If the aq salt doesn't work I'll definitely try the epsom salt. He's so skittish right now...like I placed a thermometer in the water and he like lost his mind. I'm glad that I have will have a lot of time off from school to give him a lot of attention....I hope he gets better quickly! I've decided to name him Fievel...from Fievel goes west lol
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #12 
happypappy

I tried epsom salt --- did nothing. Just made him a better bowl and gave him some time. I would definitely start the AQ salt first and then give the swim bladder some time. By the way your guy is much better than mine was at first ----- mine could only float at the top of the water !
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #13 
Laki

epsom salt will help relieve any swim bloat issues. I would go ahead and use it because unlike aquarium salt, you can use it longer than 10 days and increase the dose without adverse effects.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #14 
tromboneplaya

I've had him a week today and he's doing a lot better....I've just been using aq salt. He's still having a little bit of swimming issues, but he's a million times better! And his fin rot is almost gone
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #15 
happypappy

I was given this awesome beta by the petsmart manager because everything they tried did no good and she knew I would give him a home. No fin rot here, but all he could do was float on the top and struggle to swim down 2 inches! I tried Epsom salt, but that did no good. He was still floating. He had this funny crook or bump neat his tail -- kind of like yours. after about 2months, I noticed he could get upright in his floating plants. This slowly got better, then all of a sudden he was swimming upright and almost "normal". He still had a slight bump neat his tail, but was otherwise a normal fish. I showed his photo to a buddy who was looking for a betta for his 10 gallon -- and without hesitation adopted him. Soooo be patient, if he is having trouble swimming down I would recommend lowering the water level so that he does not struggle. (Forget the size of bowl with these guys -- he is handicapped now and needs to be comfortable!) I have mine in a 1 gallon minibow, without filter, and only half full. So see the photos at his improvement. And let me know how he does!!
Attached Images

happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #16 
Laki

Wow that red fish is amazing!
Not SBD though.. Looks like a plain deformity to me. Why doesn't anybody give ME free fish!! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote