Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #11 
ImStillLearning

Name him Virgil. :) Soleus seems much more of a name for a yellow/orange Betta
ImStillLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #12 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinbari View Post
orangeaugust: Hello! How exactly does one cycle a tank? Thanks for the advice! I'm excited to get a heater for him today, hopefully I find one of the suggested ones.
There's a really detailed thread about the betta-specific nitrogen cycle here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

You definitely should read it. I didn't understand cycling at all, no matter how many websites I read about it. But then that thread helped me a lot.
A quick summary is that in your filter and on surfaces inside your tank, beneficial bacteria grows that eats up ammonia. But it doesn't start growing until it's exposed to ammonia. Some people cycle their tank with no fish in it, but by adding ammonia from a bottle and measuring parameters, and it just seems more difficult that way. I cycled my 5 gallon tank with my betta and live plants in it. The betta is then the source of the ammonia. You have to get a water test kit, and each day measure the levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I automatically changed 50% of the water every other day, but I also checked the levels each day. If the ammonia levels are above .25 before your next scheduled water change, change the water right then and don't wait until the next day. Also, someone upthread mentioned that beneficial bacteria won't grow on glass beads. I wasn't aware of that so maybe if you do cycle you should get regular gravel or sand instead.
So anyway, after a few weeks, one day when I tested the water, the ammonia and nitrites were 0. I tested again the next day when I was supposed to change the water, and they were both still 0. So I kept testing it every day just in case, but discovered my tank was cycled! Nitrates should be a positive number, by the way, but below a certain number (don't remember what it is).
So anyway, that was my experience with it, but definitely read that thread, too!

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 11-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #13 
kinbari

sainthogan: thanks I'll keep that in mind!
i'mstilllearning: I'm leaning towards Virgil. :)
orangeaugust: Thanks! I'll read that once I have time.

I just purchased a heater and am waiting for my tank's temp to balance out. Virgil is in a cup. The instructions said to wait 24 hours before introducing a fish- I'm wondering if this is necessary? After the water balances out can't I just slowly introduce the new water to his cup, then transfer him?
kinbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is very pretty and has a nice home ! I have never heard of waiting 24 hours to put your fish in after adding a heater to the tank. Do you have a thermometer to check the temp of the water ? I would think it would be okay to do after a few hours using the cup like you said and add a little bit of water from the tank over and hour or so and then transfer him to the tank.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

You float the cup in the water to adjust it to the same temp, and add small bits of water in case the PH in the water in the cup is different from that in the tank.. Unless the water in his cup came out of the same faucet you have in your house.

I would use the SAME thermometer to test the temps in both the cup and the tank, as some of them vary a few degrees. I added my fish to his new tank a few hours after I brought him home. I added water to the cup in case the water at the store had different chemistry than the water from my house.

At most, it should take two hours (If you haven't already moved him).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #16 
kinbari

He is safely in his new, heated home! The heater I bought said it is preset to 78 but the temp is showing 74. (I have a stick-on thermometer) It may just not be circulating well because the thermometer is on the opposite side that the heater is on.

So I bought him tropical flakes as well as the pellet food and I still have plenty of blood worms. Should I feed him a little bit every day? I fed my other betta every other day.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

I usually feed my fish three pellets a day and they get bloodworms as treats on Mondays.

Also, the preset heaters are not very accurate and neither are the stick-on thermometers. Mercury thermometers with a suction cup are better because they don't touch the side of the tank, which will be colder than the temperature of the water. Of course, 74 degrees is better than 70. Adjustable heaters are better because you can adjust them depending on your room temp and tank size.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #18 
ImStillLearning

I have heard that flakes are not that good for Bettas?

We rotate between feeding them pellets and granules for four days of the week. We also tend to spoil them and give them brine shrimp and bloodworms once a week each also.
ImStillLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, I think that the flakes can get caught in their fins. Most people dislike flakes because they are all different sizes so it's hard to feed the right amount and I also think they are way messier than pellets.

You shouldn't feed a betta tropical flakes, though. The betta flakes are obviously better than the tropical ones.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 11-29-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #20 
kinbari

I bought BettaMin tropical medley, specifically for bettas with color enhancers. He ate them up so fast that I don't see how they could get stuck in the fins as they stayed floated at the top of the water. If someone overfed I could see them getting stuck in fins, though. :0 thanks for the feeding advice, everyone.