Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #1 
LittleWatty

Exclamation Please Look - Not Sure What This Is

So, I saw this little red thing hanging off of Tintri yesterday, and I have no idea what it is. I've recently noticed red appearing in his fins as well (which you can see in the photos). I know its not Nitrite poisoning because the nitrite levels in the tank are 0ppm. I'm not sure if its Septicemia because he's showing no other symptoms. I thought maybe the red thing hanging off was just some weird shaped fecal matter. Well... I've seen him pass his food, and that thing is still there, so I know its not. I have no clue what it is.

He has a healthy appetite, he's as active as ever, and I've never seen him clamp. After loosing one of my fish only a few weeks ago, I really don't want to lose another. Especially not Tintri. So, please, help me if you can.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two ADF

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day or once every other day (depending on how much fed the previous day).

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week or every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%, based on last water change or tank params
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Red streaks in fins, red thing hanging off of his underside (not sure if its attached to his anus, or not, since its right there)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday (11/28)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not yet. If anything changes, I'll probably move him to a QT tank with AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased July 7th, 2012

Forgive the blurry photos, he's a very active fish. I can rarely get him to sit still for more than half a second.
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #2 
jeaninel

ooks like it could be camalanus worms. I've never had to deal with them so I can't offer much advice. But google it and see if it looks similar to what you are seeing on your betta. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 
LittleWatty

It does look a lot like it, which has me worried now. The only treatment advice I've seen is a food that has been discontinued (Jungle Parasite Food). I'm going to keep looking around, but does anyone else have any advice? I REALLY don't want to lose this fish!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 
jeaninel

I know the best treatment is with Levamisole. Check with your local vet or you may have to order online. I know there are several TFK members who have treated for Camallanus. Maybe start a new thread with the word Camallanus in the subject and they chime in.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I believe Sakura8 has dealt with these before. Might try asking her
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #6 
RaptorX8

I've dealt with these suckers before. They wiped out almost my whole community tank. I tried parasite clear tabs, Fenbendazole, medicated food that specifically said it would treat it. Nothing worked until I got my hands on some Levamisole. I had only two survivors at the end of it, but they were cured of them. You can get some Levamisole on ebay right now and it takes such a tiny amount to treat.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

I have officially separated my ADFs from my betta, and have added one tab of the Tetra Parasite Guard. I soaked some of his food in water that was treated in it as well, to hopefully get some of the meds into his system. I've also just ordered some medicated food. Hoping to save this fish before its too late. He's irreplaceable.