Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #61 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
So wild are scared of you and captive bred are not? Care like PH hardiness are B.Imbellis good pets or very hard?
No not necessarily. I have seen wild caught fish that were just fine with people, and some of my captive bred fish are very shy and one is terrified of me. Some species are more prone to shyness than others.

Imbellis do not need low pH to do well, some wild species do but my imbellis live in 7.8ish water and they're just fine. I think wilds are good pets, but they are prone to jumping so you can never leave gaps in tank covers. They also really need air-driven sponge filters as opposed to the water intake filters common in pet stores, because most wild bettas are from slow-moving streams and stagnant ponds. I try to mimic a natural habitat as closely as possible, so I use natural Indian almond leaf litter, plants common to Malaysia and Thailand, and snails and driftwood. Wilds like to have places where they can hide completely out of sight too, so I make creative use of flower pots and jars.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #62 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
id like to see your wild pairs
I will have pics as soon as I can find my camera. It got lost in all of the stuff I was unpacking when I moved.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #63 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I might get into a little Imbellis and some more. I would prefer to have show Bettas. Fighter type looks interesting. How much of a personanality do wild have?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #64 
babystarz

Quote:
I might get into a little Imbellis and some more. I would prefer to have show Bettas. Fighter type looks interesting. How much of a personanality do wild have?
They definitely have their own individual personalities. For example, of my 4 albimarginata, one is the bossy dominant male, one is a very curious and bold female, one is a timid female and one is a small but rambunctious male that gets picked on by the others.

I don't really pay attention to whether my wilds are show bettas because survival and continuation of the species takes precedent. If they're healthy and alert they're breeding material.

In terms of how the fish get along, I've noticed that non-splendens complex bettas seem to do better than imbellis or smaragdina in a community setting.

Definitely look at all of the wild species, not just splendens complex. There are some really fun fish in the other complexes that aren't high maintenance at all.

Last edited by babystarz; 11-27-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #65 
Setsuna

Quote:
Imbellis is the most colorfull of the wild types from the splenden complex group. Fighters are just crazy and ugly looking (to me) and wild types are just very shy and take a while to get use to the place that they are placed in but when they get use to the place that they live in they show wonderful colors
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #66 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I want to show a few Bettas. I would love a few wild types. A fighter sounds interesting. Having a wild type Betta in a large tank would be fun.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #67 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
Imbellis is the most colorfull of the wild types from the splenden complex group. Fighters are just crazy and ugly looking (to me) and wild types are just very shy and take a while to get use to the place that they are placed in but when they get use to the place that they live in they show wonderful colors
This is very true, it took my smaragdina male a couple of months to start feeling comfortable and he went from a dull pale beige to having royal blue iridescence in between his scales and pretty blue/green on his face. The female still doesn't show herself very often. Many of these species also look best in a blackwater environment, it tends to bring out their iridescence layers better than bright lighting and clear water.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #68 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am getting Carter IAL.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #69 
LittleBettaFish

Some of my wilds are very tame, some of my wilds are a bit more skittish. Best thing you can do to get your wilds tame is to feed them with something like tweezers so that they can quickly realise that your presence is not something to be afraid of.

Wild bettas have as much personality as a normal splendens, it is just more subdued because they are a little more cautious. Some of mine will do the wiggle dance when they see me coming with their blackworms while others like to hang around my hand and the siphon when I clean their tank.

Probably the most high maintenance complex is the one I keep. They really do require a very low pH to be happy and as I have recently discovered are quite prone to velvet, particularly older juveniles. You will not have much success with spawning or keeping these species if their parameters are off.

However, many of the unimaculata complex bettas (excluding macrostoma) are quite tolerable of different conditions and some even prefer a slightly higher pH.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #70 
Fabian

Hei,i found some wild mahachai from someone in my country.
(http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...size=800%2C600)
I'm not sure if they are pure blood but at least you know.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote