Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #21 
Twixies

Are bettas nocturnal?
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #22 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

No they are active during the day and at night need to rest or sleep which they do and since they cant close their eyes they need the light off at night. I turn mine off around 9 and turn it back on at around 10 in the morning. They need a day and night cycle just like we do.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #23 
rubinthebetta

I don't believe so. My bettas (from what I can tell) go to sleep about the same time as me. I once was on the edge of falling asleep and I glanced at Maggie and she wasn't moving. I freaked out and turned on a light and she looked at me like "Why did you wake me up?"
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #24 
Twixies

I guess I should just turn on the light when I go to school and turn it off when I get home, that should be good right?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #25 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes that would be good or you could leave it on for a hour or so after you get home just be sure its off by the time you go to bed.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #26 
DragonFish

Bettas are Diurnal, yes.
My the lights on my tanks who have them(a few don't)are usually on from when I get up in the morning, around 9-ish, until about 8-9 at night so about 11-12 hours, which is a tad long I know...all the algae tells me that xD. About 8-10 hours is, I think, a good amount of time to shoot for with the lights.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Dragonfish I use them in all my tanks and have had few problems.
With the walmart brand heaters, some people have luck with them but I personally think it really depends on your room temp and tank size.

While you have a smaller tank, which is easier to heat, your room temp seems quite cold, leading me to believe that the preset heaters will not be able to heat your tank the necessary 15-16 degrees.

So yes, they work for some people and not for others. The adjustable ones generally work for about every tank, as long as you have the correct wattage.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize that this thread had three pages so this is kind of old news :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #28 
Twixies

It's ok AyalaCookiejar (:

A few more questions arose this morning, my question is where is his erm.. the area where he release his wastes.. I have a male veiltail betta, and I saw poop stuck to the place between the first few strands of I guess his tail? and the second part... if that made sense.

Let me demonstrate with pitures (or try to):
(His body)

The "|||" and "\\\" are his fins or tail or whatever they're called, the "___" represents the lower part of his body, where the fins start to come out.

I probably confused many of you guys haha, but anyways, I thought they're erm waste releasing area would be towards the end of his body? But I suppose it might make the tail dirty... not sure how betta anatomy thingy works.

And one more question, what does a healthy poop look like? His was light brown ish, kind of "bent" looking, kind of like stairs, and then curly towards the end. It would probably be as long as its fins if the poop was straight haha, anyways, is that healthy? I will change his water tomorrow haha, hopefully I can find the poop, since it's not stuck to his body anymore.

Last edited by Twixies; 11-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #29 
DragonFish

From what I can tell of your description(which is quite good!)that sounds perfectly normal. Yes, their little bottom is a little further up then you might expect, just behind their two little ventral, which are two long fins that come down under their pectoral(little side)fins, and right before their anal fin, witch is the big single long fin below their body. ;)

The poo sounds perfectly normal as well. It depends a little on what you feed, some different pellets and other foods can change the color a little, but generally so long as it is in the brownish/possibly slightly orangyish spectrum colorw-wise you're good. Sometimes they'll curl into balls, sometimes they'll only half curl, and sometimes you'll see little bits or maybe a smaller 'string'......but so long as its not whiteish and stringy, you're good. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #30 
Twixies

What causes it to be white and stringy looking? Would the fish have to be sick? Like with intestinal infections or something?