Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #51 
ravenwinds

I don't know about those compact fluorescent bulbs...I know Petco sells a brand that works quite well...zoomeds (i think! It's found in their aquatic light bulb section, but their reptile section has many items from this brand!) The bulb I use says "Daylight" on it and is 6500K...Kelvin. Many planted tank people state that you don't want to have less than 6500k.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #52 
sandrac8388

Hello guys! Thank you for all your help! I have now started on my second planted tank. I'm not really liking the way it looks. Maybe I'm just being picky...I wonder if I could get your thoughts and suggestions once again :D please!!

I have two 6500k 10 watt bulbs, substrate is flourite
Crypt spiralis
Dwarf Onion
Crypt undulata
bacopa carolina
anubias nana (on driftwood)
brazilian pennywort(planted and some floating)
amazon sword ( a little too tall but seems fine for now) I think
camboba( planted in three different spots)
anacharis
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #53 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi! I would move the drift wood to the right a bit...and maybe add an opposing element on the opposite side :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #54 
ravenwinds

I have heard from a couple of sources (and it is what I do...most of the time :) put only one area of a certain plant....meaning don't scatter a stem plant around the whole tank, but put it all near each other. Try placing all the cabomba in the same area....it could be part of opposing element..such as, move driftwood slightly more right, put in small pile of river rocks (or a tiki head...whatever:) and plant all the cabomba behind and/or around it. If the driftwood was to right of center, it would help cover some of long stems of amazon sword, making that side look more full and dense with plants.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #55 
sandrac8388

Ok, I placed all of the same types together. Does pennywort do better planted or floating? I feel like I should have placed the cabomba towards the opposite end. oh well..I really don't feel like moving it lol. I placed some root tabs and put in some flourish comprehensive. How many times a week do y'all suggest i add the flourish? I will be adding shrimp maybe tomorrow or later this weekend. no snails unless its a nerite.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #56 
ao
TFK Moderator

Better XD but not quite there yet :P

I have a contest for plants which you seem to have good lighting for :) join?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=121325
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #57 
sandrac8388

GRRRR!!! What else should I do? You know what would be awesome!! If you drew me a diagram of a top view of my tank and told me where to place everything? :DDDD Please feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong lol.

A contest?? I've never entered one before!!! awesome I will enter now!! yay!!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #58 
ravenwinds

Sandrac....it takes your OWN creativity...you are the artist...and your doing awesome!
You could place cabomba on opposite side if you won aokashi's contest or got some small plants to place on the left...a nice crypt or something w/roundish leaves that crept along ground would be nice :)
I don't think that cabomba would look as good on right though...seems like it would make that side too busy with wispy textures...hmm...
The pennywort does well I am told either way but I don't know from personal experience.
The cabomba would eventually mask the onion (?) planted on right rear.
And remember...for the most part its like play-doh...you can move things around later or now...live with it awhile and see how it grows together; it will give you a better idea of what to do! :)
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #59 
sandrac8388

Lol thanks ravenwinds, I try to be creative but I feel I lack that skill..I'm going to leave it as is i think and let everything grow out.. I think the amazon sword is way too big :( but I have no where else to put it I might trim some of it, I don't want it to block the light for other plants. Its about 20 Inches tall and my 10 gallon is only 12in.

I will be buying the zebra nerite snails through e-bay I think..the only place i could find them. I will be putting an order for my next planted tank. So far I have this..

Ancharis
Crypt spiralis
ludwigia
crypt undulata
hygrophilia
cyperus helferi (about 10" tall)
cabomba

2 pieces of driftwood..one covered in riccia and one bare (i'll add some anubias to it)