Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #1 
Juicebox

Wanted:Snails

im lookin for snails for the 14 gallon npt im settin up and also a 5 gallon tank.ive been to 2 petcos a petsmart and a local fish store. the local fish store has regular pond snails that are in most their tanks,i dont think i need these as i hear they eat plants.. a petco has some called mystery snails but thaat was all the info they had on them, the 2 staff i talked to couldnt tell me anything about them..

i need some mts to help keep the sand airated so i wont have to poke it with chopsticks,im also lookin for 1 assasin snail,maybe 2. would also take some other snails as long as they dont eat my live plants,im open to suggestions on snails

im aware assasins will eat all other snails,ill only put him in my 5 gallon and feed him the extra snails from my 14 gallon.

ive looked on aquabid but most people are sellin 10 or more assasin snails at once and i really dont have anywhere to put 10 of them,and same with mts,most people sellin 50 or more at once,i dont think i need that many?
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 
djembekah

MTS reproduce so fast you'll probably have fifty from only ten in no time lol. that being said, i have some MTS and ramshorns i need rid of! how many are you looking for?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #3 
Juicebox

i guess i need maybe 10 or 15 mts. i dont think i want ramshorns as ive been told they eat plants
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 
djembekah

hm. no one locally sells them or gives them away?

i could ship you some, it'd be six bucks without tracking, seven with tracking. if you're interested, shoot me a pm, but i'd see if you can find some for free first :)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #5 
Juicebox

i rang around 6 petcos,finally found one 45 mins away that had assasin snails for 3 bucks each,they werent for sale,they were in a display tank but after i talked the guy for a while he agreed to sell me 3 of them. i also talked him into giving me about 20 mts for free too,going to try breed the assasins and mts now,have them in seperate tanks,put a few mts in the assasins tank for food.

so i guess i dont need to buy any from here for now!!! thanks for the responses
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 
djembekah

great!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #7 
Juicebox

the assasins not looking too good,they have some white marks on the shells that looks like mayb the shell broke or chipped off and a couple of them have what looks like cracks on the shells. hopefully they will be ok and will breed for me,only problem now is my ph is only 6.2 so i need to try figure a way of making it higher without spending any cash!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
the assasins not looking too good,they have some white marks on the shells that looks like mayb the shell broke or chipped off and a couple of them have what looks like cracks on the shells. hopefully they will be ok and will breed for me,only problem now is my ph is only 6.2 so i need to try figure a way of making it higher without spending any cash!
I can't give you advice on raising pH (I'm forever trying to lower mine lol), but if you pick up some calcium supplements are your drug store, you can put one right in your substrate to help the snails' shells. I do this in all my snail tanks and the white areas go away fast. Just replace the calcium pill when it is fully dissolved. Your fish might try to eat some of it too; this is ok and not harmful. Some people also use cuttlebone for birds.

I've also never had issues with ramshorns eating my plants. They eat dead leaves though, so if the dead leaves are still attached to a plant it may look like they're eating the live plant, but they're not :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote