Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 
Bigj713281

Plants in a tube from petco

I'm new to all of this betta stuff and I was wondering if those plants they sell in those tubes are any good?
Bigj713281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #2 
babystarz

I've had mixed results. My Amazon Swords and Anubias from tubes are super healthy and probably twice as big as when I bought them last summer. The Peacock ferns died right away. My best advice is, go with hardy plants that will easily weather the transition from the emersed gel they're in to being submersed. And if there are more than 2 visible brown leaves, don't buy the plant.

I also tried those plant bulbs they sell. Only one grew, it was a lily and it was gorgeous, but got too big for my tank fast :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 
Xeek

As long as you buy ones without too many dead leaves and a plant that can survive the environment in your tank (lighting, etc.) Then I have had more success with these plants than plants I have ordered online.

They don't seem to go through as much meltdown as plants I have shipped to me and so far they are doing very well now outnumbering the plants I originally ordered online. The anubias or wisteria from petco I have are doing especially well (I have more than 8!) The tropica fern (which is a type of java fern) is doing ok but still needs time for me to trust it, I've ahd java fern from petco die before.

The petco anubias I've had the most success with.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

I bought Mondo Grass and Peacock Fern in those tubes, and later on found out they're not aquatic plants. -_-
But I got a Rosette Sword in one of those tubes, and it's still doing awesome in my tank and it's been about 5 months.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I bought Mondo Grass and Peacock Fern in those tubes, and later on found out they're not aquatic plants. -_-
But I got a Rosette Sword in one of those tubes, and it's still doing awesome in my tank and it's been about 5 months.
Yeah, you have to watch for that. I wish the tubes had at least some basic instructions about the specific plant it contained. For example you would buy the anubias in the tube and bury it in the substrate - unless you look it up online you wouldn't have known not to bury most of the root area or it will rot.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

I buy the tube plants all of the time & have had successes & failures. Read the tube; it'll tell you if its full or partially aquatic.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #7 
kfryman

Petstores shouldn't really have to inform you. You should always know what you are buying and if it will work in your tank or what ever it is. Why would you want to trust them any ways?

Some of the plants in the tubes are aquatic and some aren't. Before you buy them familiarize yourself with plants and the lighting and co2 requirements.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Petstores shouldn't really have to inform you. You should always know what you are buying and if it will work in your tank or what ever it is. Why would you want to trust them any ways?

Some of the plants in the tubes are aquatic and some aren't. Before you buy them familiarize yourself with plants and the lighting and co2 requirements.
i strongly disagree

if you are buying something from someone no matter what it is,they should be able to give you some info on the product. wether you are buying diapers,food,alcohol,fish,plants,a car, a house, whatever you buy its the sellers responsibility to inform you of the ingredients or origins if questioned
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would go write down the names of the ones you like and go home and research the species at home.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I would go write down the names of the ones you like and go home and research the species at home.
or do a quick google on your iphone in the store :)
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote