Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Whatever way is easier for you... I really do think you'll have the same outcome either way. Do you know what cycling is and is your tank cycled?

Once your tank is cycled, you can do one 50% water change weekly. With a cycled filter, you never have to strip the tank because it just kills the beneficial bacteria. However, it could take a few weeks for your tank to cycle, but since it's already set up, it could be cycled already or very close to it. While cycling the tank, you may need to do a few extra changes.

The only way to know if it's cycled and how many water changes to do is to get a test kit.

I've never used real plants, but it does look like the tank could use a bit more decor. I'm not sure how you would transport a tank with real plants.. How long is the drive home?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #12 
DragonFish

Yup! The sponge on the output should colonize some bacteria as well. Ahh, I love filter sponge. So useful!

Cute setup! A little bare maybe, but females aren't often as shy as males so if shes doing well thats probably not a huge deal. Love the Java Moss. ;)

As far as water change schedules....once your tank has established a stable cycle, generally about once a week is what you want to stick to. HOWEVER, since you've just got one little girlie in there....probably if you got a few more hardy, quick-ammonia-absorbing live plants you could get away with a few extra days. Get your tank cycled fist though for sure, and you'll probably want to pick up your own liquid test kit to keep an eye on things. I believe Amazon has it for a little cheaper, if you don't mind ordering online.

Hmm....for transporting rooted plants, I'd say leave a few inches of water in the tank when you transport it. So long as the drive is just a few hours or less, and so long as the tank is nice and securely packed in so it doesn't slosh and bounce around, they should be OK for the trip.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #13 
laurenmekal

i know what it is, but unfortunately i didnt learn about it until after i got her. i didnt go out of my way to fully cycle the tank, but i did use the opportunity when i was evacuated for a week due to the hurricane to let the tank sit and let the bacteria start to grow (i took her home with me in her 3/4 gallon kritter keeper) also i went home for 4 days for thanksgiving and let it sit and did a huge water change when i got back so im hoping it is starting to get cycled/settled? my bettas had no problems in the water and since the addition of the java moss a few weeks ago she has seemed so happy. i am getting my water tested this weekend so hopefully that will tell if the cycling is complete. and if its not i can either learn to fish in cycle it or keep her in her 3/4 gallon until it is cycled. im so mad i did not learn about the cycling before i got her!

the drive home is about 1 hr 45 mins to 2 and a half hours with heavy traffic. i usually transport her in the cup she came in and bring home her 3/4 gallon with her small heater.

i love the live plants so far but im nervous to try to add a leafier plant that mimicks the look of the silk green one i have because im afraid it will ruin the settled tank
laurenmekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #14 
laurenmekal

she seems to be swimming a little frantically now.. i hope im just paranoid!!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

The java moss will help with the ammonia.
Does she have any other symptoms? How is her appearance?
She could just be spooked by something. Mine do that at times. Is she lethargic and with random darting or just frantic swimming?

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 11-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #16 
DragonFish

Hmm...I doubt the tank is cycled. It sounds like it sat empty for a while not long ago, correct? Without a constant source off ammonia, the bacteria will die off pretty quickly. You're probably just in the beginning stages of cycling right now.
When you get your water tested, ask for specific numbers rather then just an 'okay' or 'not okay' and make sure they're using a liquid test kit, not the strips....the strips are notorious for being inaccurate. And while having some place to get your water tested for free is a great resource, its also a good idea to start saving up for a water testing kit for your own if you can't afford one right now, it will save you a lot of trips into your LPS while you're in the process of cycling, which could take a couple of months, and its always great to have the option of testing your water right away in case something goes wrong so you can eliminate/deal with any water quality issues.

Unless the plant dies and rots(which so long as you get a healthy one and you've got good lights, shouldn't be an issue), adding live plants would definitely be much more beneficial then not. Have you checked out are Planted Tank section here on the forum? There is a TON of great plant info over there.

I know girlies and shorter finned males can be a little more quick and active....does she look like shes darting/scratching against anything? Or breathing heavily at all? How is her color?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #17 
laurenmekal

im not sure if you mean empty as in fishless or empty as in no water. i left the water as it was when i had to evacuate for the hurricane and for thanksgiving. i just removed my fish. i figured that would help let some stuff grow because i did not have a scheduled cycle going. i will definitely ask for specifics with the testing and plan on purchasing a water kit this weekend as well.

she seems okay, i think im just paranoid because i havent been able to test the water.

i think i will get some new plants after christmas so i dont have to worry about transporting them before they can get rooted in the tank. thanks for all the advice !
i appreciate it!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #18 
DragonFish

Oh, empty as in fishless is what I mean, yes. :) Without the fish, which in this case would be the source of ammonia, there would have been nothing for the bacteria to feed on. ;)
This is a nice little thread that explains the whole process of cycling in a little more detail, if you'd like to have a look: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Ahh, I bet shes alright. She sounds nice and healthy and happy to me. ;) You're very welcome, glad to be of help! Best of luck with the cycling and the live plants, and feel free to ask if you ever have any more questions!

Tags
clamping