Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #11 
Myates

Yeppers.. have a female that I am conditioning to breed right now that I have to be careful on what I give her as anything live or homemade she will devour and then refuse anything else I try to give her. Which sucks as I need to give her the best foods, but can't let her wiggle her way out of eating certain other food that she needs.
Just stop feeding her the live food and just offer the pellets until she gets back into eating them. Continue this every time she starts to refuse.

Make sure the temp in his tank is 78-80, and that there is conditioner in with him.. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can give him to help - just keep him in warm, clean and conditioned water and hope he turns for the better.. I can't seem to think of a reason medication or a salt would help him any if he came into shock from the quick water transfer, I'm sorry :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #12 
Ryomaechizen

Thanks myates! I will do that to her, she sure start to be picky on her foods now..Ain't gonna spoil her

The male is in deep care now, he's back to flaring his reflection. That's a change but still I'm worried with all the gasping, flaring but not playful as always and not even eating..Guess its quite a shock i gave him
Ryomaechizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #13 
Myates

Osmotic shock tends to be deadly, but sometimes they do pull through.. I want to say I think he will be fine, but with fish, things can turn on a dime sometimes.
The gasping does worry me as he is still doing it.. but with him flaring and a bit more active that is a good sign. Just keep a close eye on him.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I have had picky eaters too. Some wanted flakes ( >:( ) and wouldn't say for weeks. Others only wanted freeze dried and didn't eat for a while. Eventually I get them all on the same routine. Once I get my beardie, my fish'll have mealworm meat as well just have to be stubborn with your fish sometimes
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #15 
Ryomaechizen

A bit update on my male betta, its back to be aggressive and flaring a lot to its own reflection. Just that its appetite seems slow, only ate A pellet and done..Ignored anymore of it and even a worm doesn't work now..

Done some research on changing water, made me realize my filtered tap water is still ain't good enough..Guess i need to buy proper kits..like filter, heater, conditioner and of course a bigger tank!

Glad to join this forum, learned a lot and need to research more..By the way I'm living in the equator near Malaysia, the origin of Bettas..Is rain water safe for Bettas?

I never get to meet any Betta expert here except in Thailand or Penang of Malaysia, the wild bettas usually doesn't seem colorful and sometimes the female body are pretty big like our toes!

Sena Hansler - She still reject the pellets, so roughly how long will it be till she lose her stubbornness?

Last edited by Ryomaechizen; 11-30-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: wrong words
Ryomaechizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Keep offering her pellets. A good trick is to soak a pellet in garlic juice (juice from minced garlic). Avoid her favourite foods, to see if she will finally cave to pellets.

Yes conditioner will help!! He may actually perk up once he has conditioner in his water.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #17 
Agility4fun

@ Sena Hansler, How do you count so many fry? I think I'd lose count or double count!
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Well, first tank had 72. I used a ladle to scoop a couple at a time xD I so had a piece of paper jotting down numbers to avoid forgetting xD the other tank had... Whatever the heck 233-72 equals :p