Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #1 
HARRISON

Betta feeding

Have recently been introduced to Betta fish and am loving it. Will be going
out of town for a week and concerned if my betta can go without food until I get back. Trying to find someone to come in a feed him but not yet successful. Any advice would be most welcomed.
HARRISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Your betta will survive, they can survive up to 3 weeks without food. Maybe a month, who knows. Just remember to do a big water change just in case for the ammonia and stuff. No one needs to come over, your fish will be fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
Myates

A healthy betta can go up to two weeks with no food before side effects from mal nutrition starts to happen. Prior to leaving (day before, up until a few hours before you leave) do a normal water change based off the tank size/filter/cycle you have.

When you return do a regular water change that you would do weekly - doing too large of a water change after a long period of no water changes can cause the fish to go into shock, and mess up your cycle. Since you are going away for a week, it won't be a big issue - just your normal water changes and it should be fine.

When you return start off on smaller meals a couple times a day to get his system adjusted to food once more.. don't want to shock him with a lot of food right off the bat.

Don't feed him after you have done your water change - water quality is the most important thing when you are leaving your fish for a period of time.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 
HARRISON

Wow! Thanks guys. Will do what you suggest and follow up when I return. Glad I found you and so will my Betta.
HARRISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 
Myates

Good luck and have a fun/safe trip!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote