Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

I would think it slime coat. Just watch him. I hope it slime coat.
I prefer to do salt and medications separately, depending on disease. How much of the aq salt you was adding? Usually treatment dose is 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall. And if you using medications and full treatment dose of salt i just think it too much. But sometimes i really think it good idea. Well obviously it helped your betta. I also sometimes like to use medications and then salt just to prolong the treatment in case medications didn't help. Did you follow box instructions for aq salt? Just don't continue salt for long time though. If you are using 1-3tsp/gall then you can use up to 14 days. If you are using box instructions i am not sure but long term doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage...and long term no-theraputic dosage can limit it abilities to workk for treatmnet when needed
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I would think it slime coat. Just watch him. I hope it slime coat.
I prefer to do salt and medications separately, depending on disease. How much of the aq salt you was adding? Usually treatment dose is 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall. And if you using medications and full treatment dose of salt i just think it too much. But sometimes i really think it good idea. Well obviously it helped your betta. I also sometimes like to use medications and then salt just to prolong the treatment in case medications didn't help. Did you follow box instructions for aq salt? Just don't continue salt for long time though. If you are using 1-3tsp/gall then you can use up to 14 days. If you are using box instructions i am not sure but long term doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage...and long term no-theraputic dosage can limit it abilities to workk for treatmnet when needed
I've probably been using it for about a week now? I normally just add 1-2 tsp. I didn't know that it can cause things, I always thought the use of it was for to aid in a healthy immune system for your betta.
Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

It really helps with infections since it has antibacterial/fungal effect. Also will help balance electrolyte level and encourage the production of lime coat,which will in turn help protect him form infection. But only when it needed and for certain period of time. So if he is acting normal now i would think super clean water and stress coat would help him, hopefully he will completely recover.

Also if you ever need to use aquarium salt again -You need at least 5 days rest between aquarium salt (Sodium Chloride) example: 10day on-5 days off-10days on...etc.....however, if you need a salt treatment longer than that you need to look for a different treatment or cause......

Also not sure if you know about Epsom salt also very helpful with buoyancy problems, constipation, pop eye, dropsy...The same instructions but you can use long time term and with chronic problem like sbd you can use indefinitely

Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #14 
Water

So that white spot is gone, I think it was just his skin rebuilding itself or the stress coat in that case. :) I believe he's all healed now, but he's not yet happy.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

I am glad that it gone. what do you mean that he is not happy? I though that he is eating and pretty active?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #16 
Water

Like, He isn't making a bubble nest :P that's when you know your betta is super happy. He's eating and active though.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #17 
twolovers101

Bubble nesting isn't always a sign of good health, they usually nest whenever they're ready to breed, healthy or not. It does occur more often in health fish though.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

not really. Go google bubble nest. It not necessary that betta would make babble nest on regular basis or at all. It just natural instinct. In fact i saw a lot of sick bettas in the store in those little cups with bubble nest in it which just braking my heart. So if he didn't make bubble nest it doesn't mean he is not happy.
I have 10 bettas. I have a few bettas that are almost 5 years old , others about from 2 to 3 years old. I think my bettas happy since they live long. I rarely saw a few of them did bubble nest though.

twolovers didn't see you response my answer was to water. I actually agree with you :)

Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #19 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
twolovers didn't see you response my answer was to water. I actually agree with you :)

Lol! no worries :) I could tell from your post that we were in agreement xD

twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote