Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #31 
Onbu

Summary:

The fish I am most worried about at the moment - has visible white fluff coming off his bottom fin and I can see red blood spots around the edges, the fin edge has holes in it. with the torch he does look metallic/gold dust covered but I couldnt tell you if that is just part of his mustard colour. He is a Betta, I found at the bottom of his tank lifeless two days ago. I moved him into a small recovery tank with seachem prime + stress, he was barely able to reach the surface for air. The next day I added seachem paraguard to his bowl. Today he can now float just under the surface water for a few minutes, still a little lopsided and weak and then just rests laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. Still has appetite.

He has improved slightly since being put in the small recovery bowl with fresh water every twelve hours a doses of seachem paraguard - but I need to know if I can do anything else for him or if the paraguard is even the right thing to really help him????

<The other fish is acting not sick today - but his tail is very ragged looking since his almost dead emergency a few days ago>
Onbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #32 
Onbu

I'm updating this post because now that this fish can get off the bottom of his tank and float under the surface, Ive noticed his body is kind of curved around...

He has never looked like this before.

He seems to be swimming slowly in circles and he looks pretty straight, but when he tries to actually swim in a direction with intention he can not swim exactly where he wants to go because of this curved in the body that then becomes very pronounced (I've just watched him trying to get a pellet).

This new symptom ring any bells with anyone regarding a treatment option?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Fill this out. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #34 
Onbu

This morning I have found a supplier I can get these from in about 3 days:

http://www.dubaipetstore.com/IQ3-Min...257-376-p.aspx

http://www.dubaipetstore.com/IQ5-Min...997-376-p.aspx

Can you please advise me whether either of these IQ models are actually ideal for a betta or just a gimmick tank that would not suit a betta due to the specs or the size/pump/filter/light etc

I have the same question for the Biorb tank models please (although I can not get them locally so they would have to be brought in from overseas suppliers which would take longer).

IF the IQ models are a good choice, would it be possible for you to please tell me whether the IQ3 water volume and filter etc is recommended or suitable for just one betta or is the IQ5 being a little larger the only way to go.

I would also great if you are aware of the information regarding which accessories and filter products etc are required for this setup but do not come inside the box with the tank purchase so I can try to order these all at the same time.

I have spent hours glued to my laptop and reading information which routinely contradicts or disagrees with the last advice I've read - not to mention the multiple different aquatic advice forums I have turned to for genuine emergency help regarding treatment options; only on most occassions to be informed that these little fish will never be healthy because they are not in a heated, filtered, much larger cycled tank environment. I am not a fish expert, which is why I was immediately looking for help when they showed negative signs and I am now completely aware from my reading that betta's will thrive in those perfectly regulated and consistant tank conditions but these two little guys have never lived in an environment like that (always a 3 gallon vase) and their previous owner reported zero past health problems and they've only been in my home for the last few weeks.

I feel absolutely terrible, and devastatingly guilty that these little guys are unwell - and whether they were already unwell when i took them in doesnt change how upset i feel looking at them and watching them every minute of the day worrying because they are very obviously unwell/unhappy.

I now know I should not have taken them in - i did it with the kindest intentions and thinking I was doing a really good thing because the person who owned them was leaving the country and could not find any loving homes who wanted to adopt them - I knew they were stress sensitive little creatures and so I went above and beyond to find out everything I could from their previous owner before they arrived at my place with regards to their history, environment and her care routines with them...I knew then that I could commit to her 100% water change twice a week schedule and I was sure that from reading and learning I might be able to tweak their water conditions and food brands etc to help them be even happier (especially the poor little guy who I found out later from the owner that he was an ongoing tail biter - I have invested tons of time trying to learn about the why's behind this behaviour and the different methods suggested for breaking the habit).

Anyhow, it is what it is now so I will try to rectify this series of my mistakes.

I do appreciate your time and advice.

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #35 
KeelieGrace

This is kinda off subject but I recently was gifted a betta his name is Haku after research I save and gift to friends as often as I can from walmart. I now have two. Haky in a 2.5 gallon tank and Balboa in a 1 gallon tank I've sat them close together tonight thinking it might help with boredom but they seem very aggravated is this ok or will it make them uncomfortable or feel unsafe in their home. I want them both to be happy and my rescued fish from walmart was making a bubble nest so I know he was happy before I sat the bowls together
KeelieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #36 
KeelieGrace

Question How to increase my betta;s happiness

I want my bettas to be happy and both have made bubble nest and I take that to be a good sign but worrying that they are bored I moved their bowls closer to one another and now they seeem entertained but I'm worried this will cause them to feel uncomfortable or harrassed in their own home. Should I let them visit (via sitting the bowls close to one another) just an hour a day and then move them back to their original homes in seperate rooms or is this good for them and should I let them become accustom to it
KeelieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #37 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Tell us the care you have tank size heater temp decorations. IAL is great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, half moon, moss ball, seachem, tail biting