Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #21 
ChristyB

Ok good, then I will go and check some out and get some names written down and check to see if they will work in his tank. AND THANKS!!!!!
ChristyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #22 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
If you but it at Petsmart, it'll be fine.
Uhhh. You do realize petstores don't always label the correct item/plant and usually don't have great animal care right? Just don't use that again lol.

I am not sure if it is the real marmio moss ball or not. I would rather buy from a hobbyist any day, over Petsmart or Petco.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #23 
aemaki09

Isnt there some belief that they bring good luck to whoever owns it or some other kind of meaning/superstition about them??
Can someone tell me what it is? I'm thinking about handing them out at my wedding
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #24 
sandybottom
Reference Team

they are considered a symbol of luck and love. are often kept near cash registers in japan. also kept as a pet. they like cool water and low lighting. they can be kept in the fridge over hot months to keep them from rotting. use non chlorinated water to clean marimo. gently squeezing then turning and squeezing gently again.repeat this until there is uniformity and appears a smaller rounder form of itself. don,t squeeze too hard or it can fall apart.they can also give off little babies.happy marimo keeping!
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #25 
ChristyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
they are considered a symbol of luck and love. are often kept near cash registers in japan. also kept as a pet. they like cool water and low lighting. they can be kept in the fridge over hot months to keep them from rotting. use non chlorinated water to clean marimo. gently squeezing then turning and squeezing gently again.repeat this until there is uniformity and appears a smaller rounder form of itself. don,t squeeze too hard or it can fall apart.they can also give off little babies.happy marimo keeping!
Thank you I didnt know that. So I can clean it in the old tank water before moving it to the clean tank?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #26 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Uhhh. You do realize petstores don't always label the correct item/plant and usually don't have great animal care right? Just don't use that again lol.

I am not sure if it is the real marmio moss ball or not. I would rather buy from a hobbyist any day, over Petsmart or Petco.
Yes I do, but I don't imagine Petsmart buys any other moss than marimo which the supplier/hobbiest wouldn't lie about that. So marimo I wouldn't worry about... Fish on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyB View Post
Thank you I didnt know that. So I can clean it in the old tank water before moving it to the clean tank?
I would get some fresh, dechloirnated water at the same temp as your tank and soak it and squeze it, repeat 2-3x and re roll to a nice ball. That's what I did anyways.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #27 
sandybottom
Reference Team

+1 on clean water. if you keep them as ornaments you can use spring or filtered water. with municipal water supply always use dechlorinator.also make sure they are moved once a week to avoid brown spots or flat sides. i saw a guy on youtube that had a few in a plastic hamster ball. he used it as a tumbler to make them uniformly round, trying to simulate a rolling tide.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #28 
ChristyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
Yes I do, but I don't imagine Petsmart buys any other moss than marimo which the supplier/hobbiest wouldn't lie about that. So marimo I wouldn't worry about... Fish on the other hand...

I would get some fresh, dechloirnated water at the same temp as your tank and soak it and squeze it, repeat 2-3x and re roll to a nice ball. That's what I did anyways.

ahhh ok so when I get the new tank water ready I can make a little extra and clean it that way. Only thing is my store doesnt have any. They did have some annubius nano's that look nice but I dont want it because it calls for fertilizer and I dont want anything to do with that. Now to hunt out a marmio balls.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #29 
sandybottom
Reference Team

tons on ebay. keep in mind that the nano balls they are pea sized and are not as dense. even small fish can easily destroy them. imho 1" and up are pretty solid. i really dig some of the x-large ones.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #30 
ChristyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
tons on ebay. keep in mind that the nano balls they are pea sized and are not as dense. even small fish can easily destroy them. imho 1" and up are pretty solid. i really dig some of the x-large ones.
no no its not a ball its a leafy plant